Large copper pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large copper pot

Hello. I recently acquired a few things. This pot being one. Looks like hand hammered copper? About 2' - 2'-1/2" across and about 15" high. Other than it looks like it was used at one point, it's in great condition. Very heavy. Any ideas of its age and mainly what it was used for? Thanks in advance.

Really like this site btw. I have been pouring over pages and pages. Amazing just how much stuff is posted on here!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bellworx; 12-16-2020, 05:25 PM.

Nice. I love copper stuff!
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Cool piece. Based on the handles and the design, I think yours might be a Cazo de Cobre from Mexico used to make Carnitas. (A copper pot used to make delicious fried pork.) You can find them in many markets in Mexico, but google Cazo de Cobre and you'll see lots of pictures of nearly identical pots. The best way to tell is check the measurements against some of the online examples, they are pretty standardized.

That said, similar pots were used regionally in lots of places. My grandparents used one for making apple butter. You'll see lots of them in Vermont and Quebec for making maple syrup. (Copper does a great job at not burning sugar for some reason.)

If the link works, it's a similar one on Amazon just for reference.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Also keep in mind the most expensive and coveted cookware is made out of copper .
      No I don’t own one just admire the lives starting at $400.
      Yeah so you have a collectible piece for sure .

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Tam, when I was young and dumber, I aspired to have lotsa copper pots. I think I’ve owned exactly one small copper colander in the 40 yrs since!
    Working...
    X