Clay Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Pipe

Found a little time to scrounge about and was so happy when this reed stem pipe flipped out of the dirt. I'll post it in "All Things Collectable" since it is not Native produced. I have pieces of two other styles of clay pipes but this is my first intact one. Already made room in a case for it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1524 (1024x767).jpg
Views:	325
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	537630Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1521 (1024x774).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	537631Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1522 (1024x764).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	537632
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

You are the Pipe Man! That’s a find, and I know you already know what there is to know about it. I may hafta start reading about early American pipes myself, just to better appreciate...
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Congrats that is a sweet pipe... look good in any case...👍
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

really sweet pipe . very fortunate.
        Utah

Comment

Nice find always like finding them have a baggie of broken stems and bowls found a few over the years
          NWOhio

Comment

Sweet, not easy to do, still waiting to find a complete one.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Congratulations!

I'd do a bit more research, but I've seen several pipes of that style being found at trade sites between natives and settlers. Perhaps this is one???
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• fldwlkr
                fldwlkr commented
                Editing a comment
                It is an oddity that it turned up where it did. I was hoping for late 1800's cork top bottles but I will gladly take it. Not sure of the history of the site but I enjoy the mixed bag it throes me.

That's cool
              SW Connecticut

Comment

I would highly recommend "The Collector's Guide to Clay Tobacco Pipes, Volume I", by G. Michael Russell, ISBN 1-57745-014-0, and others by this author to include bottles. I don't know anything about availability. Published by: Russell Publications, 401 Virginia Ave, Herndon, Virginia, 20170. The information would be very valuable to this group.

Comment

• fldwlkr
                  fldwlkr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. I'll look that book up.

Cool, I always found the brokes..
                Floridaboy.

Comment

Sweet find!
                  South Carolina

Comment

Congratulations on that find. I've yet to find one and would like to. Plenty of booze and shoe polish bottles for some reason lol. But no pipes
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

• JSMOSBY
                      JSMOSBY commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I suggest you try to hunt a Civil War period camp and best of all the trash pit if you can find it.

• fldwlkr
                      fldwlkr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, Ketchup bottles too.I don't consider it a hunt until I run across several booze and ketchup bottles.

Plenty of civil war things around here but haven't found a camp, thanks
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

From "The Collector's Guide to Clay Tobacco Pipes, Volume I", by G. Michael Russell, ISBN 1-57745-014-0, page 10: "...Reed-stem pipes, circa 1800-1890...domestic brown, gray, brownish-gray or reddish brown...attached to pouches of tobacco to promote the sale of a given brand..." And much more. Mike was truly a wonderful sharing acquittance and mentor.

Comment

• fldwlkr
                        fldwlkr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was thinking late 1800's to early 1900's due to some of the other stuff recovered from this spot.

Here are some of mine I have found over the years and stems and pieces parts
                      NWOhio

Comment

• fldwlkr
                        fldwlkr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cool face on that first one. Are they all from the buckeye state?
                    Working...
                    X