Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s this?

Hi folks,

Life has been busy and it’s been awhile. Here’s a something I picked up a few days ago? I have no clue what it is and it may just be cast concrete but it feels a little heavy for that?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Welcome back Von. It looks like the bowl molcajete part of a molcajete/mano. This is something I would expect to see from Mexico, as their equivalent of the pestle & mortar, used in cookery. They often have tripod feet and are made from vesicular volcanic stones. It may not be tremendously old. When you say 'picked up', do you mean 'bought' or 'found in the ground'?
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        Honestly I bought it at a Goodwill store here in NC for nearly nothing. I was pretty sure it wasn’t from around here. I guess it would be good for grinding up stuff but not great because it’s rough as a cob. The patina is the only reason I bought it. From what you said I guess it’s worth holding onto. Thanks for the information.

Von

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Rough volcanic rock works great for grinding things up. I have pestles made of the same kind of rock.

Molcajetes like this were (still are) typically used to make things like guacamole and salsas as well as for crushing things like chillies, The end product is not necessarily finely ground or smooth. More what you might call 'pulped' or 'smashed'.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m sure grinding up or smashing peppers or other stuff works pretty good but cleaning it’s got to be a pain.

Von

ones like it are still made https://www.sanyorkfairtrade.com/mol...MaAk6ZEALw_wcB
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Very interesting Hoss. Now I want one!

Looks cool. I would've bought it too. Then gotten fussed at by Mrs, lol.
      Western Kentucky

Comment

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife doesn’t fuss anymore but she’s got really good at rolling her eyes and shaking her head! LOL

check this out. These guys make them. The proper pronunciation is in the video.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

That’s a really cool video and a incredible amount of work and skill involved with making one of these. I think the one I have has some age on it but how much? I was thinking about selling it. Now I’m not sure and may just have to hold onto to it for awhile.

Von

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        I have had a couple of them over the years. I used to go to a restaurant that used them to make guacamole fresh table side using a small molcajete. They are not rare . Too bad yours is missing the tejolote
    Working...
    X