New display case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New display case

Hey everyone! So I made a new case for myself and used it today to bring a couple points to an arrowhead show here in Texas. More than a few folks asked about it, and that always leads to requests. I haven't done this yet for a few reasons....but mainly I've found with most hand made things, people don't know how much time and work goes into these to make them different than what's available. And since almost everyone here owns at least one, I would like to know if yall don't mind, how much you would expect to pay for a case like this. Its about 12×10 exterior dimensions (It was built to house a specific artifact) and just over 3 inches thick. Thank you for your time and any feedback you'd be willing to give. Don't be shy!

*I feel like I should add that the glass and 3/4 inch plywood backing are built in, and I use exactly zero nails in these (no holes). Also admins, this is not a sales post and I will not be selling these here, if at all. Just trying to see what everyone thinks. Please delete if this violates any rules!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kickin' Rocks; 04-03-2021, 05:57 PM.
    Austin TX

Beautiful looking case... 150-200 bucks, easy.
    I’ll take 3 of them....
    hmmmm.. let’s see, you made about a buck an hour...👍
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Kickin' Rocks
      Kickin' Rocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol thanks north! For the feedback and kind words...

thats a Beautiful case.150.00 easily.
    Utah

Comment

Looks like it’s bomb proof...It’s beautiful, ...
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Kickin' Rocks
        Kickin' Rocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hal! I still wouldn't drop it on purpose, but the glass is the only part in any danger of breaking if I did. Lol

$200 easy. Craftsmanship and an eye for small details are a hard commodity to come by these days. You sir check all the marks in each category. Beautiful work.
      Last edited by Uncle Trav; 04-05-2021, 11:11 AM.
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• Kickin' Rocks
        Kickin' Rocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Trav, that means a lot.

That's a beautiful case! I'd pay at least $200 maybe more.
      South Carolina

Comment

Really good looking wood on that case
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Figure your cost then x3 would be a good start
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Kickin' Rocks
            Kickin' Rocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks surface! Zebrawood is stunning! And hecka expensive....Well all lumber is right now, but this particularly lol.

Thank you all for your feedback! I very much appreciate the compliments as well.... im a carpenter of 20 years who happens to have the arrowhead sickness as well, so this was bound to happen. It's just somewhat disheartening when someone inquires about what one might cost, and then tells you what they feel it should cost instead (usually that number is lower than the material cost alone). I very sincerely thank you, and very much appreciate the comments. I'm going to continue making them for friends, and may occasionally offer a few here and there. Also might not be a bad year to get in on the secret Santa here...... thank you all again!

-KR
          Austin TX

Comment

• Mailman
            Mailman commented
            Editing a comment
            I make knives w/ exotic wood handles, as a hobby. I cant price them high enough to re-coup my cost. I just give em to friends and family.

• Kickin' Rocks
            Kickin' Rocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Mailman Handmade knives with gorgeous handles you say....sounds like something I would definitely like to see pictures of!

• Mailman
            Mailman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm thinking we could do some bartering, lol. Knife for a case for a walking stick! Who needs money!!

Don't ever get into making walking sticks you will never get your cost out of it. Just the overcoats are expensive people don't realize what the cost in supplies are not to mention the time and skill it takes to produce a high quality product. It's a beautiful piece of art you have made.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Kickin' Rocks
            Kickin' Rocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly.... and cost of supplies only seems to be going up and up and up....thanks again surface.

Great looking case love that wood .

Comment

Yes $200 would be good
            Wyoming

Comment

If it was mine... $350 minimum. Beautiful and looks very well made. Great workmanship!
              SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Kickin' Rocks
                Kickin' Rocks commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you! I can definitely assure you they are all very well made. I appreciate the comments!!!

That's some pretty wood. Let's see the full version with your finds in it
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• Kickin' Rocks
                Kickin' Rocks commented
                Editing a comment
                I still need to clean and seal the bone artifacts that are going in it... I've been putting it off due to fear but I suppose it's time lol
            Working...
            X