Creek find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creek find

Out creek walking today looking for artifacts and came across this half buried in gravel bar, I can’t believe it wasn’t broken.

Looks like an ash tray someone must have kicked the habit, really nice find with nice flower design
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Yep a old ashtray good score. At one time people used to smoke in restaurants and grocery stores actually everywhere. I even remember spittunes in public places like churches lol
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• oldrocks2
        oldrocks2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope, had em in Iowa, bout 46. Old Lutheran church, sermon in German.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I went to a wedding once I n a country setting and the Baptist church had them every other isle in Florida

• Mailman
        Mailman commented
        Editing a comment
        I still chew in church, lol. I was born 100 years too late...

Barney, read about old company that made this ashtray. It’s a little bit of Americana!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• B.Rubble
        B.Rubble commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I have been doing some research on it earlier this morning and according to the date code it was manufactured in January of 1942 and I believe it was for railroad and hotel use

1942! Maybe your ashtray sat in lobby some fancy hotel, and guest arrived in her ‘42 convertible, and used it to put out her Chesterfield!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	8F4089D5-D5CB-406A-BC57-E506BA42CCB5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.5 KB ID:	572591Click image for larger version  Name:	E856382C-A3EC-4BC8-BB5E-52CA49C80EB2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	572592
      Last edited by Cecilia; 07-27-2021, 11:44 AM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I like that stuff , retro in real time !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Cool find! Syracuse made restaurant ware way back when. You could almost sink a battleship with one of their coffee cups shot out of a cannon. A few mom & pop joints in my area still have their original Syracuse Ware and use it everyday. I have a couple coffee cups I picked up at a thrift store and use them all the time. Keeps my coffee good and hot. Made back when quality meant something.
          Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• B.Rubble
            B.Rubble commented
            Editing a comment
            Right when quality meant something! I don’t think there will be many collectibles from today’s throw away society for future generations. My uncle has a GE refrigerator in his garage from 1952 and it still works great!

• Uncle Trav
            Uncle Trav commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear ya. We had a 1954 Kelvinator in the basement. Finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago. Getting that old thing out of the basement was like dragging King Tut’s sarcophagus out of his tomb😁

Cool ashtray.....cant believe its in great shape considering location of the find
          Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• B.Rubble
            B.Rubble commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea it’s amazing 2/3rds of it was buried in a densely packed gravel bar I pulled it not expecting it to be in one piece
        Working...
        X