1780s books with handwritten sketches and notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1780s books with handwritten sketches and notes

So I found these 2 books yesterday at my friend’s house in Delaware. I think they are the same book but one is missing a title page, and has a lot of mold in it. It looks like they are both original binding and in bad shape. However, there’s writing and a couple sketches in the front and back of both books. I’m having trouble reading it, it looks like the name is William Faulk, which I googled and there was a William Faulk in Delaware in the 1780s who was a Miller. The date also looks like 1786? Not sure. If anyone has any information or thoughts I’d love to hear it!
    Attached Files

Fundamentals of Quaker beliefs!!. You got yourself some fine old Church books, Anabella! and those probly signatures members of community. Yep, Quakers big important part American history…..
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I believe the one name of Joseph Pike Was a co-founder of the school of Moorestown Friends School about that date.
      SE IA

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Bit o historical trivia: Pike family originally Quakers in Cork Co, Ireland, got land grant Pennsylvania. Know this coz my family part of many Cork folks came over on boat ended up Pennsylvania

James Adams, the publisher of one of the books was the first printer in Delaware. He worked for Benjamin Franklin, and then set off on his own. He did the engraving for some early currency, and some of his early printings are quite collectible.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ben Franklin….. now, that’s interesting person!

• oldrocks2
        oldrocks2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ben Who ?
    Working...
    X