snuff bottles / opium pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snuff bottles / opium pipe

my aunt brought these from i think Cambodia. my uncle was consulate general there ... any information would be helpful. this was in the early 70's
    Last edited by smbore; 02-22-2022, 11:24 AM.
    Utah

Got any pics of bottom of bottles . Usually have makers marks

Comment

no markings on them
      Utah

Comment

Well I'll take one for the team and try the pipe for ya
        Missouri

Comment

Maybe we should have powwow….

Click image for larger version  Name:	B62A9153-4228-4C10-9DD6-EE28D19890B8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	616912Click image for larger version  Name:	A052A3D5-27AB-4314-869E-192AF7423AD4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	616913
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• smbore
            smbore commented
            Editing a comment
            that one is a fancy one.

The two snuff bottles are likely Chinese (the white one certainly is.) The pipe doesn't quite match the typical ones I saw when I lived in Hong Kong, so it could be local.

There are lots of Chinese families in Cambodia that arrived over the last several hundred years. The opium trade was a profitable business.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Clovis I know symbols’ meanings for running horses, burning Phoenix, yin/yang, lotsa other consistent ancient invocations. You know meaning presented S’Mores white snuff bottle? Old man, mountain, goat….

• clovisoid
            clovisoid commented
            Editing a comment
            That red & blue style on white porcelain was a pretty common style for 1800's items. Lots of of idyllic country scenes. Farmers, fishermen, nature, etc. Dragons and other characters are more easy to interpret (five claw dragons were royal, 4 claw dragons were lesser nobility, different Buddhist symbols, luck and wealth symbols, etc.)

Chinese porcelain is cool, but in Hong Kong I'd look at stuff at antique shops and could never figure out why one piece was a $5 trinket or a $10,000 master piece. So I left it for the other collectors.

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            I knew you knew stuff….👏
        Working...
        X