ID:	629264Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220424_130239.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	629265Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220424_130253.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	629266 As some of you know I am the Curator for the Snyder County Historical Society Museum. Late last year we had a nice donation of old carpentry tools. I was asked to do a program about them on Sunday. Someone from the forum told me to do a thread. Here is the introduction.

Ever since humankind has walked the earth they had to make their own tools. From primitive man making theirs tools from stone and bone. to modern man and the high tech tools of the present. All these tolls (pictured) were made by hand. The blacksmiths produced tools for the carpenter , the plumber, tin smiths and all other smith and laborers. Experimentation was surely part of the fabrications. When the tool didn't function well, the fabricator would endeavor to make it better until a fully functioning tool was accomplished. So indeed all of these tools were hand made.
    Everything we do must have a tool to accomplish our task.
    From the simple pencil to the computer chip. Our kitchens utensils, automobiles, lawnmowers, etc. we depend every day. It really doesn't have to be said, but I'm going to say it any way that humankind could not live without our tools. We take them for granted in everything we do. So in ending I will pose this question to you. Why don't you try to do your laundry next time by pounding it on a rock by a stream?

This is only a small part of the donation and I still have to identify and catalogue this collection in. If anyone wants to come here and help give me a call. (just kidding) Enjoy, Kim
    Last edited by Mattern; 04-26-2022, 09:09 AM. Reason: re-do Picts.
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

No pics?

Comment

Nice forward Kim..
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Cool stuff!
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Mattern
          Mattern commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for lookin clovis. K

wow that ia one sweet assemblage.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Sweet! Love the tools!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            Curating a Museum is a very interesting and challenging job Greg, and I like doing it. K

Hey Mattern.—- Old Sage H Jack here. Been a while. I collect old Tools. Especially Hatchets/axes and Tomahawks such. In your last Pic—- left side! That loose Hatchet with the down turned spike’ —is a rare Iroquois Spike Tomahawk!!!!! Nice stuff on the table. I have most of them old Tool types in my small collection. Those huge Slick Chisels are sweet

Comment

very nice.. my grandparents had about every tool on the table kicking around there yard when i was young. my great grandpa was a rancher owned alot of property. and there where tools galore around the place. the ol boys where Jack's of all trades by necessity. thank you for taking me back to my younger years memories.
            Utah

Comment

Hey Kim, don't know if you're familiar with Eric Sloane's book 'A Museum of Early American Tools', but a great book for tool ID.

A Museum of Early American Tools

https://villageofscotia.org/historia...tool-answer-2/
              Last edited by Olden; 05-04-2022, 09:12 PM.
              If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Mattern
                Mattern commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll look into that, could help me to Id tools I don't know. K

Just about everything you need to build a log cabin
              2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Yup and I'm sure some of those tools did just that. Thanks for lookin. K
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I just found a cast iron tool at my contact site not shire what it is yet but got a cast iron hoe their last year trade goods
                  New Jersey

Comment

• Mattern
                    Mattern commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Boy that beats me Bull.
                Working...
                X