Super cool token!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super cool token!!

Dirtwalker and I were behind the house walking the freshly plowed field. I saw something that i thought was the back of an old shotgun shell. Then I saw the dimpled edge. Picked it up and was blown away... first thing I saw was the date... 1860.... then two Indians on a canoe.... cant believe my luck..

my great great grandfather used to walk from here to fort Benton where he would chop wood for the steam boats coming up the Missouri.. this was in 1865... probably how it got here..

looked it up on the google and found it's a pretty rare token.

If anyone has any info about these that doesn't pop up in the first couple google hits please let me know.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Super token, never seen one like it.
    SE IA

Comment

Hey Chad, That's a very nice ferry token. I'm surprised by the nice condition.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Modern copies of the token are being sold but the real ones like yours bring a surprising price.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
          Modern copies of the token are being sold but the real ones like yours bring a surprising price.
          I saw that they made copies after finding the dies.. they said that the copies are 25 millimeters and the original ones were 29.. I was worried I found a copy so I checked and its 29.
          Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

A rare find indeed
            Wyoming

Comment

That's absolutely awesome, and cool connection back to your ancestors.

Being a settler/early farmer wasn't easy anywhere, but Central Montana in the 1860's was about as wild as it gets. Lots of things on four legs were probably all too happy to kill you (including people on horses.)
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Cskelton
                Cskelton commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, he sat down with someone and rambled on about his life when he was in his 90s...they typed it up. 26 pages of random recollections. I have a copy, that's how I know he chopped wood for the ferry.. he had a lot of "scrapes" that he would talk about and then when it got to the part where it was either him or them, he changed the subject and talked about something else entirely.

Cool find.....wish i had more info for you, but i do not.....congrats cskelton
              Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Can we all just take a moment to realize that you found this by eyeballing it, and not detecting... That's incredible!
                "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Unbelievably lucky find my friend
                  Bruce
                  In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
                    Unbelievably lucky find my friend
                    I tried to PM you about it. For some reason my message just disappeared when I post it. Is there anything I should do to clean it that wont damage it? So far just a spit and rub, before i knew what it was...
                    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                      2ndoldman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would just leave it as is. Without having the experience of multiple attempts (failures and successes) you are likely to make a mistake.

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
                    I would just leave it as is. Without having the experience of multiple attempts (failures and successes) you are likely to make a mistake.
                    Thanks.. I leave it alone...
                    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Man, that’s as cool a “modern” find as I’ve seen in a while…and the ties to it make it that much better.
                      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                      X