Collectable invite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectable invite

I invite you to post your other collectables on my thread. Kim. It is human nature to collect things. My Father was an Auctioneer and Antique dealer. So I learned from an early age to collect things. And I have many collections. Of course Artifacts were first. I once asked my dad, "what are the best things to collect". He said "The ultimate throw away." Anything that people get but never save. I started saving TV guides, my early ones from the 50 and 60 are very valuable now. My 2nd collection were electric race cars. Dad bought me a HO race track in the Midd. 60s. I now have over 80 cars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5465.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	678.3 KB
ID:	691151 Geodes. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5467.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	599.9 KB
ID:	691152

Red Cross pins. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5477.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	691153

Agate Ware Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5473.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	691154Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5474.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	691155

My 59 issues of the Smithsonian Bureau of Ethnology series books. Very valuable and what a great resource. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5481.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	479.7 KB
ID:	691156
    Please add you own Collectables. Thanks Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

A Few of my Oil Lamps:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Modern Reproduction.gif Views:	0 Size:	104.4 KB ID:	691252
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Byzantine Oil Lamp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	691253
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Islamic Style Round Lamp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	691254
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Iron Age Oil Lamp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	691255
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Samaritan from Israel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	691256
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Egyptian style Frog Lamp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	291.8 KB ID:	691257
    The one that I am burning is a reproduction lamp.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice Ron thanks for your addition. K

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Several of those look like Ancient Greek oil lamps! About 10-15 yrs ago, one found with soot still on it on sunken Egyptian barge/boat, showed trading between Mediterranean cultures…..

Love the collections Mattern and Ron. Extraordinary!
    I always been fascinated with why people collect and I understand there are a hundred opinions as to why they do.
    I appreciate the discipline and determination it takes to put together a collection, over decades many times.
    Im more on the order of a hoarder. Collect a little of a lot of things. Nothing of huge value.
    Northern Ky

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Not discipline, determination if you (I) mentally off…..

I have the collector’s mentality. You collect something you like, buy a nice specimen, and sooner or later it’s time to feed the hunger for the next piece. I do believe every collector understands this, regardless of the object collected.

As a young child, I collected American coins(tried to fill that dime case!), ancient Roman coins(bought with my allowance money), and stamps. One day, needed a little cash, sold the entire ancient coin collection for a song and a dance. Dumb, dumb kid!

Fossils started early, no later than 10 years of age. First arrowhead about the same age. As an adult, the three main collectibles have been fossils, esp. trilobites, artifacts, esp. personal finds, and meteorites.

Now, as a retired adult, still curate collections of artifacts, meteorites, and trilobites. But, no collecting with the wallet anymore, lol. Well, once in a blue moon.​

Now, here’s the thing where me and collectibles go. It’s all about deep time. Artifacts= deep time of man. Fossils=deep time of life on Earth. Meteorites=deep time of our solar system. Meteorites will always be the oldest matter we can ever hold.​

Some trilobites from my collection…

Cambrian, Morocco:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1902.png Views:	3 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	691307
    Devonian, Oklahoma…

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1905.png Views:	3 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	691308
    Cambrian, Nevada….

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1906.png Views:	3 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	691309

Head shield(cephalon) of Badulesia tenera, Middle Cambrian, RI. Personal find….

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1907.jpg Views:	3 Size:	227.5 KB ID:	691310

Some meteorites…..

Sikhote alin, the best known shower of a nickel-iron meteorite, fell in Siberia in 1947…..

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1890.jpg Views:	3 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	691311

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1903.jpg Views:	3 Size:	413.5 KB ID:	691312
    Allende, a carbonaceous chondrite meteorite that fell in Mexico in 1969. Note the small white patches. That is matter left over from a super nova, occurring before our solar system formed, and which became incorporated in the earliest forms of matter coalescing out of our solar nebula some 4.5+ billion years ago. They are known as CAI’s, Calcium-Aluminum Inclusions. This was the centerpiece of my meteorite collection. Sold to a close friend last year, after I owned it for 40 years. Truth is, if this were for sale today, I could never afford it. But my friend could!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1891.jpg Views:	3 Size:	178.2 KB ID:	691313

Meteorites, three Sikhote-alin in foreground….

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1901.jpg Views:	3 Size:	645.8 KB ID:	691314

One can also own pieces of the moon and Mars, blasted off those planetary bodies by ancient impacts, and arriving on Earth as lunar and Martian meteorites…..

Last edited by CMD; 05-20-2023, 08:59 AM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      You express so elegantly, eloquently,
      Yes, I also loved the ologies ———geology, archeology, astronomy, even as little kid.

Love The Cars, see a 50s gasser up front. Actually I like a few old Toys or new like old to remind Me of My Youth. On bottom is a RC like I started racing early 90s and My Dad would take Me to do stuff like that. Manchild I dont know, if The stuff was cool 30 something years ago It never had to stop ha. Also a Bike I did up last week or 2 which I also have few of.

Name:	20230215_101856.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	691316Click image for larger version

Name:	20230518_095941.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	604.4 KB
ID:	691317
    ​​​​​​​
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Joshin. Thank you. K

VW stuff
    Attached Files
    2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Big toys! I like the totem pole in the background. K

Motorcycle things
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LongStride; 05-21-2023, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are some Great photos, especially The old ones.

• LongStride
      LongStride commented
      Editing a comment
      All of the bikes I have restored and own , all are 50 years old or older, except the white montesa that I've owned since new, 40 years old now and several restorations, I'm retired from competition and am enjoying being a spectacular now , the last pic of the red bike in the snow is my regular ride here at home, it's 52 years old and is still a great trail bike
      Last edited by LongStride; 05-24-2023, 10:36 AM.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      I gotta chromed-out Honda Rebel Special Edition 350 (is that right?!) when got first real job coz figured it be like horse I could not keep in big city apartment. Ha! No grownups ride horses with me coz they said I was too dangerous, but DANG I was scared of that bike!! Only had 300 miles on it when sold it for more than paid for it……. I apparently need two brains go that fast, I drive like old lady too in heavy sedans, but know feel exhilation tearing up trails thru woods…

I collect way too many things. Just a brief view.
    Trilobites 50+
    Ammonites 30+
    Shark Teeth 40+
    Jasper Slabs 25+
    Old Holsters 1800s
    plus many other things, way too many.

Name:	Gerastos granulosus  W-1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	691462Click image for larger version

Name:	Asaphus kowalewiskii.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	691463Click image for larger version

Name:	Douvilleiceras  10.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	691464Click image for larger version

Name:	Douvilleiceras Tractor Madagascar  Jurassic  6.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	691465Click image for larger version

Name:	6  HEMIPRISTIS serra (snaggle tooth) upper.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	691466Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (1)bb.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	691467Click image for larger version

Name:	Crazy Lace Agate Slab  1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	645.7 KB
ID:	691468Click image for larger version

Name:	Holster 45.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	909.5 KB
ID:	691469
    SE IA

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      I too collect many things to numerous to mention Oldrocks.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      I have one of your “old” trilobites you replaced with “new” trilobite. It’s with my fossils posted below. AND, I have your Dino Do Copurlite, but it sits on own little stand next to petrified wood….

Kim, you could send me those wonderful old Smithsonian publications, ease your collecting obsession a bit…..
      Last edited by Cecilia; 06-16-2023, 12:06 PM.

This was wonderful . I have some very old books and collectibles at home . I just found a Vintage Orange Nehi etched pop bottle .
    it’s all dirt now .
    Waynes brother bought 5 acres down from our cabin . I found an entire jar of chips I gave him…it’s his place . But wow new hunting ground . Trying to post it .

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Tam, I hope you make a killing on the new turf. K

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1494.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.8 KB ID:	691640Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0235.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.1 KB ID:	691641
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0208.jpg Views:	0 Size:	545.9 KB ID:	691642
    I love antiques, especially old west outlaws and lawmen. I was a Deputy Sheriff for years, so I think the old school lawmen intrigue me. I am a member of the Wild West History Association and have visited a ton of old west sites that I find historically significant.
    I have a lot of original items relating to John Wesley Hardin that I spent WAY too much time (and money) searching for! I brought a few to Antiques Roadshow in Palm Springs and was on the show… I have a large collection, including old badges and ephemera that I’ll display proudly in my next house.

Finding Megalodon and great white, among a ton of others, sharks teeth is super fun and addictive, too. I love OLD stuff! This is a very small sampling (above) of what I’ve found.

But, there is something about finding these old stone tools that haven’t beet handled by humans in hundreds or thousands of years that is special, a feeling I can’t describe. I can’t wait to go out and search for more.
    Last edited by Dmaver; 05-23-2023, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• LongStride
      LongStride commented
      Editing a comment
      The card shot and signed by Harding , bad ass !

• Dmaver
      Dmaver commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it’s awesome! Thanks!

• Owen70
      Owen70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the Hardin card!

Great collections D. Thanks for posting. K

Comment

Love seeing y'all's collections, what attracts us to certain things I s part of who we are, we all share the love of artifacts, and all have our story of what that means to us, thanks Kim for this thread, will post up some more of the odd things that make me me collection soon

Comment

graduated from Hot wheels about 1972 to slot cars, some of the cars I bought new, some are from yard sales, estate sales, and eBay, there is enough track to make a decent size one, been a few years since I set it up, takes a lot of space, most the cars still run, spare parts are inexpensive and easy to get on eBay, Aurora AFX were my favorite, (you could really tune them up and ballance the motor and chassis) some are Tyco, there are some very early Tyco and Aurora Thunderjet, all are 45 to 55 years old old except the Tyco Indy cars, fairly valuable but more about sentiment and they are pretty fun to drive, they are safely stored in a foot locker in my attic, saw your awesome collection Kim ( the coyote, camero, mustangs, GT40, you got some good old Thunderjets there) and figured I would snap a couple of new pics
        Attached Files

Comment

You do have a couple that I don't have. I too got the books and many parts. Haven't raced them in decades. We used to put up a drag strip and elimination to find the fastest car. I had a 4 lane banked track and spent many hours racing my twenties. This Corvette is one of the most expensive cars out there. Very limited edition very rare. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5609.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	787.8 KB
ID:	694240

Comment

​ Oh my! I just saw this wonderful post! ….y’all in trouble now that I did…. First, lemme preface response saying born on USAF base, spent next 17 years 6 other bases, had clothes and books. No pets, no furniture, no home; we lived base housing, with base furnishings, changing every 3 yrs. So, even tho still had wanderlust after Dad retired, I bought lotsa stuff home from every place I lusted to wander!

I started collecting stuff, stuff, more stuff, and gotta big old house to stuff all stuff in. More books, shells, rocks, fossils, animals, husbands, children, big plants, funky furniture, funky art, heads/busts people, weird creatures, museum reproductions, and horse statues from every third-world and classic culture visited. This my library with part of oldest collection:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4436.jpg Views:	2 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	695159Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2023-6-17-102901.jpg Views:	1 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	695160Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4272.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.1 KB ID:	695162Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9171.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.1 KB ID:	695161

​​
            This bout 1/2 my fossils and 1/10th of horse collection,​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​
            Wall horse made from metal barrel poor fella cut up on beach in Haiti. Only expensive horse Venician glass, watched guy hand(mouth?) blo.. That was lil pricey, but none of my other dodads were; mosta my artsy stuff gifted, homemade/revitalized by me and my friends, or from Good Will!
            ​​​​
            Uh-o, that’s limit of 8 pics. Must make second response!
            Last edited by Cecilia; 06-18-2023, 08:07 AM.
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              I love it🤗🤗🤗🇺🇸

• gregszybala
              gregszybala commented
              Editing a comment
              Way cool Cecilia!
          Working...
          X