Some kind of medal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some kind of medal?

So around a year ago i was living in downtown Charleston SC. One day i decided to climb under the house to see if i could find anything. I had high hopes because the house was built in 1850. I wiggled in on my belly and began scratching in the dirt. after about an hour i had found three clay marbles, a South Carolina military button, a red clay pipe, a pomander and this little badge or medal. Dont know what it is, has anybody seen one before? how old is it ect.

Just googled it. Citizens military training corps. Pre WW1!!! Cool!!!

Comment

What!? that easy! thanks Im gonna do the same Thanks turkeytail!

Comment

That's cool...my story didn't end that way!  I bought a metal detector and tested it in my yard. Found a lot of hot wheels. My goofy dog was watching and dug up all the holes I had filled in.  Now I have holes everywhere and a few rusted toys!

Comment

I bought my wife a metal detector for her B-day bout twelve thirteen years ago, Radio Shack $119.99. The only good find we ever had is my ma lost her wedding ring about 9 months after my dad died. She was weeding around her flower beds. Found it in the compost pile!! Besides that we found 6,976,432 tear off beer tabs and a 1996 dime!

Comment

I did forget the pull tabs....the mound Indians used mussel shells.  I guess 600 years from now we will be considered the pull tab natives!

Comment

lol!!! The good ones can be set to distinguish the garbage out. We did also find were it was rumored a still was blown up next to my mother in laws property. wernt a rumor! Father in law got all the copper tubing and cashed it in.

Comment

Daniel, I see you run heavy equipment. My brother in law does too. His company was doing a golf course by Lapeer Michigan and they dug up a bunch of arrowheads. He said the grounds keepers were picking alot of them. He didnt even get off the dozer! Keep your eyes peeled!

Comment

My eyes are always looking for old bottles and mason jars full of coins!  I was tracking a excavator across a field where a grader had been running....you could see what I think was primitive campfires everywhere!  There was bits of char in what could have been circles all over the place like a village....well anyway I looked down and found a broken green point I'll post a pic soon!  There's a subdivision there now.  There is a fairly large creek near by might walk it this spring!

Comment

Ain't done the Metal detector thingy yet but I been look'n at em.  Mark - ya oughta keep them pull tabs.  Be they aluminum you can sell them. That 6,976,432 might weigh a couple of pounds. :laugh: I found a 3,000 year old 12ga shotgun shell in the creek... :woohoo: Dan - Ya oughta teach ur dog how to use the metal detector then just follow him around and see what he digs up.  ---Chuck
                    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

WEEEELLL.....I may have exaggerated just a bit!

Comment

Talk about pull tabs! When I was a kid my Dad used to take me digging at a very familiar night spot to the teen age crowd. As soon as we got there every time Dad would tell us set up for the dig and we would go to work setting screens and unloading equipment. He would walk around the dirt  roads and find coins from parkers and campers. I bought a metal detector and went back some 27 years later. I found a whole bunch of pull tabs and no coins as i worked along I hit a huge signal and it was kind of deep. I dug and dug and found a huge ball of Aluminum foil. My dad was gone he passed about 14 years ago I slowly peeled back the aluminum foil and found inside a couple of three musketeer candy bar wrappers. Dad's favorite candy bar but not one coin. LOL Had to share this story he is looking down here laughing like crazy at me but creating some great memories all the same.
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

:laugh: That's comical! :laugh:
                          Also, that pin is a cool find!

Comment

thats cool

Comment

Working...
                            X