This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Bruce, hope your well

Can i pick ya brains for a moment? As our resident expert.
    If someone wanted to start a little detecting what would you say was the best detector to purchase as an entry level model?
    And what kind of kit would they need?

Many thanks in advance

LbM

If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      My first question would be what is your budget and then I would ask where you want to detect i.e. beach, park or field. If your plan is for parks and fields you would be wise to budget for a pinpointer in addition to a digger (preferably hand and not shovel) as well as something to hold your finds. (Please remember that I tell everyone to remove the trash that you dig). If your plan is to hunt beaches then a long handled sand scoop is the preferred way to go.

• LucasBMylks
      LucasBMylks commented
      Editing a comment
      hey Bruce

I would say fields (i have seen what you call parks in your post and i can tell you this side of the water i`d call that a nature reserve lol all our parks have nice little fences round them and a bloke who shouts `keep off the grass`!!
      As for budget thats kinda what i was asking. As in most things the cheaper things just aint worth having or using and the most expensive stuff is only of use to the real pros. I saw the coil you won in that competition an man thats a whole lot of dollars (well done btw)

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Being in England is like living in the land of OZ for metal detecting.
      You are so correct in thinking that going cheap is a waste of time. And going whole hog like I did is definitely not for everyone.
      I have heard good things about both NOKTA and MAKRO detectors. Also Minelab will be shipping the new Equinox detector in the early spring of next year. https://www.crawfordsmd.com/
      These three detectors are middle of the road price wise yet they are all very decent machines.
      OH and by the way a light long handled shovel is best for English fields.
      Last edited by 2ndoldman; 10-11-2017, 12:13 PM.

I know this is an older forum but I am a MINELAB man and I hunt with the SAFARI. I have an EXTERRA but for older places I bring the big gun SAFARI out. The new Equinox is awsome; I
    have personally talked to people on the beach who love them. Minelab took the 5 best signals and incorporated them into the 800 My SAFARI is a full band spectrum machine, you can't
    get any better than that except maybe the pulse machines. I pinpoint with the Garret pinpointer; never have had any trouble with it. A MUST have for detectorists.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have two machines.
      My favorite is the CTX and my backup is the Equinox 800.
      I recently sold the Excal II because I don't do dedicated water hunts any more.
      So I guess you can call me a Minelab guy too.
      My preference for pinpointers is the Garrett AT Pro aka the Carrot 🥕

• POINT MAN
      POINT MAN commented
      Editing a comment
      I have recieved my newest detector about 3 weeks ago. I needed a waterproof IP68 machine for Florida so I purchased the new Nokta Legend. I;m still tweaking the settings for coin shooting. My cheapest detector which is my Minelab Exterra 305 has given me some of my best finds with that 7.5 VLF signal which is about the best signal for coins, and the add on 11 inch double D coil. I'm looking forward to using the Legend in Florida. It has a Ferris Check, which is the first in the detecting world. The object is to dig less bottle caps

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats on picking up the Legend. I hear that it is quite capable.
Working...
X