This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal detecting 101.

Making finds with a detector is more about your technique than it is about the detector or where you hunt.
    Don't get me wrong in thinking that I think that big bucks detectors are not worth the money.
    It's just that I have seen some spectacular finds being made with some very low end machines.
    The mantra of "low and slow" is as important as is how you swing the coil.
    When you see how different types of coils function you will understand a little more.
    The very basic machines usually come equipped with concentric coils and they can sometimes be up graded to double D coils but it is not a necessity.
    First you need to keep the coil as close to the ground as is possible at all times and the coil needs to be horizontal to the ground also.

As you can see if the coil is angled or you lift the coil up at either end of your swing you will get very little penetration into the ground with the signal.
    I have also seen many people swinging their coils 3&4" above the ground and complaining that they never find anything. :crazy:
    This is what the detection zone on a concentric coil looks like.

And if the coil is not horizontal to the ground this is what you end up with.

It is very important especially when using a concentric coil to overlap your swings.
    This shows what is possibly missed when the swing is not overlapped. Just think of how much you are walking over if you have several feet between your swings. :crazy:

And you can see the improvement when the swing is overlapped by just 25%

Myself I use a DD coil and the pattern is much different.

And this is what 25% overlapping with the DD looks like.

This is a helpful site for those who want to do a little research and it is where I got the pics. http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/m...ch_coils.shtml
    Finding great things with a detector is not difficult all you need to do is go where others have been before.
    People are always loosing things and have for millennia.
    There have been a lot of detectorists at almost any place withing a cities limits that you can think of but no one gets everything and one of my secrets is to go where others never think to go. When you are in a park setting go into the bushes and take those out of the way paths. The bushes have not always been there and the paths are there for a reason. Many people have walked there before and sometimes they loose things.
    If you are a little more of an adventurist and like to search old home sites and ghost towns remember that the clearings were very small around the old places and for the most part the finds will be very close to the building sites. Don't forget the path between the house and the privy. :laugh: They usually had to make a mad dash or 2 in the night.
    Now the machines I use are quite high end and capable of discriminating out a whole range of things that to many people are junk and they don't want to listen to the constant chatter of iron grunts. Myself I hunt wide open with no discrimination on because I like to listen to everything. I particularly like it when I get those strange warbles and chirps. So many of my good finds have been made chasing signals which others either never hear or ignore.
    Take it easy and slow. Don't worry so much about what the detector is showing on the screen. I hunt by sound and only use the screen to the determine depth of the target.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Thank you Bruce  B)    That was great tutorial. But what is the code for MD'rs like fill your holes ...clean the scrap.... I am sure there is much more.  Tone is the most important and head phones.. :dunno:  :rolf:  your the expert I am eating this up.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Chase tone is very important to me but so is hearing everything else that is happening around me. I hunt in some sketchy areas so my preference is to use ear buds instead of headphones.
      This is a code of ethics which all metal detecting forums ask their members to adhere to
      I WILL respect private property and WILL NOT trespass without the land owners permission.
      I WILL NOT destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns and deserted structures.
      I WILL NOT litter, always pack out what I take in and remove all trash dug in my search.
      I WILL leave all gates and other accesses to land as found.
      I WILL appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
      I WILL use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
      I WILL abide by all laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern my search, or the area I will be in.
      I WILL fill all holes, regardless how remote the location, and never dig in a way that will damage, be damaging to, or kill any vegetation.
      I WILL report the discovery of items of significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation.
      I WILL be an ambassador for the metal detecting hobby.
      * * * REMEMBER * * *
      "All treasure hunters may be judged by the example you set. Be extremely careful with your probing, picking up, discarding of trash, and ALWAYS COVER YOUR HOLES!"

Fill your holes and take the garbage away. Those 2 things are so important.
      There is nothing that will kill a great hobby faster that damaging a place and leaving trash everywhere.
      Last edited by 2ndoldman; 08-01-2016, 09:38 AM.
      Bruce

Comment

Another thing that is very important when you are hunting in grass, weather it is public or private, is the type of hole you dig.
        Never cut a wide shallow plug. It destroys the roots and will kill the grass. Cut a plug as small in diameter as possible and if possible never cut a full circle. Make the sides of the hole as perpendicular as possible.
        Always leave a flap of grass attached and hinge the plug open. That way when you close it up there is a better chance of the grass surviving and staying green.
        One of the best investments you can make is a pinpointer. It makes the finding and recovering of an object so much faster and easier than you can believe until you try it.
        I personally use a Minelab Pro Find it is the more expensive of the common ones but Garrett pinpointers have been getting a bad wrap lately and so many members on the different forums are going through more than 1 a year and at $150 each that's ridiculous. With a pinpointer I can tell if the coin is within 2-3" of the surface and not have to cut a hole to find it I just place a small digger behind the object and pop it out.
        Speaking about digging tools Please Please leave your shovels at home. Unless of course you want to have the cops visit you the next time you are out in public. :dunno:
        Bruce

Comment

• justinberry
          justinberry commented
          Editing a comment
          I've tried and broke a many of gardening trowels till I got a Hori Hori knife. Know I can take a plug out of concrete if needed to 😁😁😁

Chase this may help explain what you were trying to say in my last post
        Bruce

Comment

2ndoldman wrote:

Chase this may help explain what you were trying to say in my last post
          Your right Bruce, I live in another world. I live where dirt is loose and grass is not a factor. MY BAD. It goes to being responsible. Know your area, we are not out to scar the land but just leave foot prints that fade fast.  Both MD'ing and artifact hunting.
          Consider my hand slapped.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this  back up! it has so much!

Comment

• painshill
              painshill commented
              Editing a comment
              I had just verified/corrected pictures in this section, saw this post and thought it deserved to be a "sticky" at the top of the section. Fine work, Bruce.

when you get a signal that only gives a half tone? you swing over a target get a beep but when you return you get nothing. what is the reason for that.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              It can be several things. A signal like that is most likely do to an iron object that has completely rusted away yet the remaining rust halo is just enough to set off the detector one way only.
              Have you tried turning 90% to the target and seeing if the tone improves or disappears entirely.
              My nightmare signal is the "phantom " signal. They happen when you get a great tone once and only once. Try as you might, step back, move to the side or turn sideways they never repeat.
              Another possibility to the rust halo is if you are running any discrimination at all you may be hitting a good target one way but the signal is blocked by a discriminated target on the return swing. Once again turn 90% and see if it improves or disappears.
              PS if you turn 90% and the signal turns to an iron grunt it is usually a bent rusty nail. I always dig those just to be sure. I have found a lot of old coppers, old bullets and once a silver dime this way.
              Last edited by 2ndoldman; 07-31-2016, 10:03 PM.

Now all I need is a m.d.. great info bruce.

Comment

yes i try it from all angles and just about all the half tones only come from one way. when i been digging the half tones i find nothing like you said except for rust or nails or bent old bard wire.

Comment

• justinberry
                justinberry commented
                Editing a comment
                On my "cheapo" metal detector, I've only got three tones and I've found my best piece of history with the lowest trash metal tone. It was the intensity of the tone that made me keep digging almost a foot through the worst rootwads I've ever seen but after about fifteen minutes of chopping and sawing my way down I found what was fertilizing those super roots. A brass WWI infantry insignia button with the most beautiful green patina you've ever seen.

• 2ndoldman
                2ndoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                I would dig halfway to China to recover military items Justin. Your button is an excellent find.
                My only self imposed caveat is digging through root balls in public places. That is a NO GO for me. I have lost track of the number of really good target signals I have left behind because of tree roots.

Thanks Bruce. Great tutorial and refresher.

Comment

2ndoldman: Great threads and I enjoyed looking at all your finds. I have a few detectors but use my older Whites DFX most of the time. I bought an AT Pro some time ago but haven't had it out yet. I wanted the AT Pr for water detecting. You know anything about them? Not sure how to set it up.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                  2ndoldman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have not personally used an AT PRO however I do have several friends who do.
                  The most common advice from experienced users is to set it up in PRO ZERO with iron audio on. How high you run your sensitivity will be determined by the location you are detecting. If you are getting falsing reduce the sensitivity and ground balance again.

Yes great advice

Comment

I'm the Garrett at pro kind of guy

Comment

Bruce if I had one I would go out today . It's really stupid living by the beach I dont do this .
                    I am going to transfer all this information so when and I WILL get one of these I'll be ready . Really really great stuff here .
                    There are no points in Hawaii 😂

Comment

Working...
                    X