Some of the old bottles i have found while detecti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of the old bottles i have found while detecti

Some bottles I have found because of the metal cap like these.

And some I have found by accident while chasing a different signal like these up at Edgewood. The signal turned out to be a large coffee can but it led to a pile of bottles.

Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

And my first poison bottle.

Other bottles I find while wading with the detector.
    The secret here is to feel with your feet for anything slippery.

I have yet to find an intact ceramic bottle but I will eventually.

And sometimes I just luck out and see an interesting bottle in the leaf litter.

Or on the beach like these Chinese medicine bottles I found with the marbles on the beach.

I have more but that is enough for now.
    Bruce

Comment

That poison bottle is pretty cool!
      I have an old milk bottle that's pretty cool.... haven't cleaned it up,  the wifey likes the creek stain.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Awesome horde. :woohoo:
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Nice finds.., looks like a few may date back to the roaring 20's  . Ive got to post a picture of this large round bottle i found a few years ago so maybe someone can tell me what it was used for..
          My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!.... They didn\'t make us free we were born free, as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free!

Comment

Cool finds Bruce.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

awesome finds Bruce thanks for sharing the pictures.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Love the little round bottle! Any idea what it was used for?
                Child of the tides

Comment

Kyflintguy A loot of people collect milk bottles upload a pic here and lets have a look at it.
                  Thanks Josh. 

hvs a lot of those bottles are from the 20s and earlier. Post a couple of pics of your bottle. Make sure to add a pic of any markings on the bottom.
                  Chase if you ever make it up here I will take you detecting in the Gorge. They held an annual regatta here to celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday.

the first pic is 1887 then 1895 and then 1920. Lots of stuff got tossed into the water and it's 2 blocks away from my place.

Anytime Hoss. 

Havenhunter the small purplish bottle was a perfume bottle and still has a nice smell to it. And the small white bottle is a Woodbury Cream "germ free".
                  Bruce

Comment

Love the 2nd pic (round bottle). Shape speaks to me.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Love the bottles Bruce! I used to have a pretty decent collection of but alas they sold quite well while I was in the antique business years ago. I had some nice examples of the ginger beer bottles too.
                      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Here's that old milk bottle I was referring to Bruce, I finally got around to digging it out... I'm not sure how old it is, but the bottom says 27' ? I have debated cleaning it but we kind of like the old distressed look  :dunno:

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

Here's that old milk bottle I was referring to Bruce, I finally got around to digging it out... I'm not sure how old it is, but the bottom says 27' ? I have debated cleaning it but we kind of like the old distressed look  :dunno:

That bottle is fantastic just the way it is.  :woohoo:
                          The "27 on the bottom would most likely be for 1927. This is the only info i can find at the moment on the Riverside Dairy.
                          Riverside Dairy     Brabson Ferry Road / 608-610 Burwell Bldg., Knoxville     J. A. Kreis; old phone 2531; old phone Hemlock 4266; phone 2-0124; phone 3-5981; 1920, 1922, 1927, 1929-31, 1937 City directory
                          I also could find no images of that bottle so hold on to it my friend. It's not a one of a kind but it is not common.
                          Bruce

Comment

Yeah I did some searching after I posted it, and found that same info. Turns out there was quite a few dairies in the area but like you said finding them these days isn't very common.  I did find a FB group in this area of local antique  bottle collectors... someone May have some more info or similar bottles on that site. I agree though I like it the way it is, I found it partially buried and submerged as I was jumping stones trying to cross the creek without falling in, so lucky find imo. I love looking in creeks it's" like a box of chocolates" well sorta :rolf: you never know what your going to get....old licence plates, bottles, arrowheads a hodge podge of the past.... Thanks!
                            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Nice bottles! We find a few 19th century examples when surface hunting. The best milk bottle we found, probably from the 20's, was pressed mouth end into a river bank. Pulled it out, full of mud. Heard a clackin sound. A crab had been trapped at an early age, in the bottle, and could not fit out the mouth. Well, what are ya goin do? Smashed a great bottle, and into the river he ran, claws up and warning me   Actually, lost two nice bottles that way
                              Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                              X