Some of the old bottles i have found while detecti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CMD wrote:

Nice bottles! We find a few 19th century examples when surface hunting. The best milk bottle we found, probably from the 20's, was pressed mouth end into a river bank. Pulled it out, full of mud. Heard a clackin sound. A crab had been trapped at an early age, in the bottle, and could not fit out the mouth. Well, what are ya goin do? Smashed a great bottle, and into the river he ran, claws up and warning me   Actually, lost two nice bottles that way
    That's a total shame Charlie. I myself would have removed the dirt plug and placed the bottle in a safe place in the hopes that it would get out on its own some how. Then return later to retrieve the bottle.
    Shows great character to do what you did though, congrats. :woohoo:
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

[QUOTE]2ndoldman wrote:

Originally posted by CMD post=147330
      Nice bottles! We find a few 19th century examples when surface hunting. The best milk bottle we found, probably from the 20's, was pressed mouth end into a river bank. Pulled it out, full of mud. Heard a clackin sound. A crab had been trapped at an early age, in the bottle, and could not fit out the mouth. Well, what are ya goin do? Smashed a great bottle, and into the river he ran, claws up and warning me   Actually, lost two nice bottles that way
      That's a total shame Charlie. I myself would have removed the dirt plug and placed the bottle in a safe place in the hopes that it would get out on its own some how. Then return later to retrieve the bottle.
      Shows great character to do what you did though, congrats. :woohoo:
        No, he couldn't fit through the opening, he had outgrown it and would have just stayed there till it died. Considering it had lived it's entire life in the pitch black, pressed into a river bank, letting him free was a lot more enjoyable then keeping the bottle. I don't really collect them anyway, though we keep them when we know they are old. It really was a no brainer decision. I even took him home first to show the Mrs., then we drove back and broke the bottle. Just something we had to do. But, if I had thought, "hey, this bottle is worth hundreds of $$$", well maybe I come to a different decision :unsure:
      Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
      X