Dribs and drabs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dribs and drabs.

A friend and his wife came down with the flue this week. He is a huge fan of military relics. And I thought to cheer him up I would find some militaria.
    But when I texted him this picture his response was less than appreciative.   

I have been working an area in which I have found badges and buttons but this is the closest I came to his prized finds.
    One days brass and copper.   

I did find one interesting live round.

And this does not seem to be a 22 cal round but this is all I could find on this one.
    The U.S. Army was looking for a low cost means of creating indoor target practice. The first attempt was a reduced powder charge for the .30-06 cartridge in the issue 1903 Springfield rifles. The second attempt was with the Thompson-Hoffer device. which allowed a .22 short type cartridge to be used in rifles with reduced bore sizes. The most successful attempt was created by the New York National Guard, who had Harry Pope, the famous barrel maker create a 1898 Krag rifle with a .22 rim fire barrel. The rear of the bore was offset to allow the center fire firing pin to hit the rim of the smaller cartridge. Only Harry Pope could make this system work well. At that time Pope was working for the Stevens Rifle Company. Stevens offered this new system for sale to anyone who desired to convert their Krag. Ammunition proved to be less than satisfactory in meeting the accuracy requirements of the Pope barrels. Stevens, in what seems to have been a special relationship with the Peters Cartridge Co. asked them to improve the .22 long rifle cartridge along the lines being suggested by Pope. They created the Peters Stevens-Pope Armory loadings in 1905. The Union Metallic Cartridge Company responded with their Krag Armory loading in 1907.Winchester responded to this increasing competitive situation with their U.S. Armory loadings, also in 1906. While the Peters entry was successful, the U.M.C. and Winchester loading did not obtain the popularity desired. Both the U.M.C. and the Winchester boxes. are difficult to acquire and not found in many collections. "   

A little long winded for you folks who like pretty pictures so on with the show.
    As with many open wheeled races I have watched on TV this one got bumped from behind and needs repair.
    It's a F1 Ferrari #73 made by Lesney.   circa 1963-1967

And this one is a little newer.

Now I managed to find 2 different whatchamacallits so far this week.
    The first one looked like a pocket watch at first, then I thought pendant as I was looking at the front of it because it is ovoid and not round.   

Once I flipped it over though I started scratching my head in earnest on this one. The back would almost indicate a sash buckle of some type.   

Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Guessing hes not a fan of the blue team. :dunno: Neat finds, the newer is baja bug. :laugh:
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

The other head scratcher is this little brass pin (at least I am assuming pin) It was in the right place at the right depth and made out of the right material to be a WW1 officers pip however I can find no reference to a scottish thistle ever being used as one.

And to back track for a moment I forgot my most important rule. Rule #1 junk first. Ya I had a few nitro moments too.   

OK on to better junk. I found a flat button and when I tried cleaning it with lemon juice I thought I had destroyed it. As it went all weird and gummy looking so I tossed it in the tumbler just to see what would happen .       

If only the LCs were made of better material they might fair the salty conditions a little better. Another otherwise nice LC.

The silver count is starting for 2015 and as always it's one here and one there. Never a bunch in one place.   

Bruce

Comment

And these 2 I just had to show together so you can see the size of the little medallion. For those of you who don't know the little nickle is the same size as the US half dime from 1794-1873.   

Does anyone know the history on this religious medallion?

And the little nickle in all it's natural glory. 

Bruce

Comment

I forgot to add this odd ball silver ring I found. When I fist got the signal was convinced that it was another pull tab.

But since gold rings can be found in the pull tab range I did a 90 degree sweep and it changed to a silver hit instantly.

This is why it really pays to crisscross your sites in different directions and also dig any repeatable signal.
          Bruce

Comment

Really neat stuff, Bruce.  Thanks for the show!
            Rhode Island

Comment

I agree,  really cool finds and a great show! Thanks!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
              X