Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants to take a shot at me?

Guess what? They already tried and missed :rolf:

Well I think you can guess by now I went back to the shooting gallery.
    It was a beautiful day here today and I didn't wast to much of it standing around.
    My modern junk includes a ladies compact and an old plumb bob.

And my old junk. These have been in the ground for some time.

And then there's my recyclable junk.

And since it is a dog walk area there are the inevitable mobile manure maker tags. The best being the 1958.

And of course I did make gas money today.

2 silver coins for the day.

Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

And one silver spinning pendant.
    Side one.   

Side two. And when you spin it it spells I LOVE YOU.

I saved this one for the last find because I thought it was unique.
    At first it looks like an oversized lipstick tube.   

With a very interesting makers mark. (Any one an expert on makers marks?)   

The reason I ask is that from the area I found this it is most likely WW1 or WW@ era.
    And it is either a snuff container or a coke container. Probably both.
    And the leather gasket almost kept the water out so the iron spoon is in decent shape.

For those of you who are frozen in these days I thought I would add some pics of what Victoria is like in the winter.
    Beautiful sunny day today.   

People walking their dogs on the beach. 

And how's this for a sunset as it sinks behind the Olympic Mountains in Washington State.

Bruce

Comment

Nice pics and finds!  hmy:
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Great days finds.....pics are beautiful.....Thanks for sharing.
        I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Cool! I want a old dog tag!

Comment

Thanks for sharing all of these pics.  Wow great stuff. I like the spinner silver pendant and of course the dog tags.  You have some great artifacts in these pics.
            have a great day stay warm JTinc
            Go Team!!

Comment

Man that is a lot of finds. Is there a mini rush that courses through you at the moment of discovery? Or does the rush come when you detector snese something and sends the tone? I am just trying to relate this with the rush I get at the moment of discovery when I spy a glint of flint on the ground and my heart begins toi race just a tiny bit faster until I pull it ot of the soil for full viewing.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

B) cool stuff !
                call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Man that is a lot of finds. Is there a mini rush that courses through you at the moment of discovery? Or does the rush come when you detector snese something and sends the tone? I am just trying to relate this with the rush I get at the moment of discovery when I spy a glint of flint on the ground and my heart begins toi race just a tiny bit faster until I pull it ot of the soil for full viewing.
                  Hoss, for me it is two fold. When you get the tone then signaling in the spot. A rush of what have I found. Then digging it out to know what treasure you have uncovered.  Since I detect historic camps, I can always imagine it is going to be something.
                  But in other areas pull tabs, pop cans and other discarded items. takes a lot  of digging and removal with detecting  Always clean up the area you detect. Fill in your holes and remove the junk. That is a responsible detector-est.
                  Oh 2ndoldman here is a shot for you. :rolf:   

Attached files 

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

First off thank you one and all.
                    Hoss absolutely I get a rush at almost every signal. Some places it's fast and furious but mainly pennies and pull tabs and others it's very quiet and the occasional hit is usually something special. But always a rush no matter what it is and that is what keeps me going.

Chase thanks for the Henry pics. I have also found several but in no where near as nice a condition.

I have found out what the mystery item is though.  I received this reply on another forum and it fits with the area and era.
                    "The tube with spoon, perhaps not a spoon, if war era could be an oiler. The insert allowing application as a drop at a time by gravity.
                    Similar design ,some just a straight piece ,some with end flattened, were used on many different rifles. M1's ,the oiler fit in the rear sling mount. Other rifles had holed buttstocks to hold cleaning supplies and oiler.
                    Not sure what was used on location there but perhaps a 30/40 Krag.
                    The brass one in picture with near spoon shape is from a British Enfield rifle.
                    (Canada saw use of the Enfield in .303 calibur...)
                    https://www.google.com/search?q=303+brit...d=0CB0QsAQ"

And on a different forum one of the members has one from his grand fathers WW1 keepsakes.
                    Bruce

Comment

Working...
                    X