This one's for the gimpster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This one's for the gimpster!

For those of you who don't know Micheal aka Rayban had day surgery. He has been working on a bad knee since moose season and will now be forced to take it easy for at least 3 weeks. :sad: On the good side it will also force him to fully recover from a touch of pneumonia he has also been battling. The old fool has been slogging through up to 1/2 a K of snow to detect and then spending the next day in bed. :crazy:
    Micheal's absolute favorite find is militaria bar none. So I determined that come hell or high water I would find something to brighten up his day.
    So I headed out to an area that saw training during both 1st and 2nd world wars. Yes I found a lot of shell casings but that didn't count.

And yes I also found silver but that also doesn't phase him.

I thought that I had something here but it has me stumped. As found.

And after cleaning. I realized that it was a piece of horse tack and the marking is a makers mark.

I finally found an area that I thought had potential. I thought that if they were playing war games they would have utilized the terrain to hide in.

And after checking most of the little nooks this little beauty popped up.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

The 88th (Victoria Fusiliers) Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Victoria, British Columbia, the unit began recruiting in the autumn of 1915 in that city. After sailing to England in June 1916, the battalion was absorbed into the 30th Reserve Battalion on July 18, 1916. The 88th Battalion, CEF had one Officer Commanding: Lieut-Col. H. J. R. Cullin.``
    However, another source says.
    The Victoria Fusiliers (88th Regt.) were formed in 1912 and amalgamated with the Canadian Scottish Regiment (50th) in 1920. The colours were presented to St. Mary's Church (Oak Bay, BC) in 1920, at a memorial service.

I also found a spoon that when found looked like any other old spoon that I find and nothing special.

Now many of you here are starting to realize that I hate crud and clean pretty well everything.
    So I gave it what i call the full treatment which is time in a reverse electrolysis bath and then several rounds in a tumbler.

And I was surprised to see that I had actually found a second piece with military history.
    R.C.N. is for Royal Canadian Navy and the arrow is the British broad arrow.

And the markings put this at circa 1912 to 1929

Needles to say I was able to brighten up my friends day.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Pretty cool finds!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Very cool finds. Maybe I need to get me one of them there detectors.

Comment

Working...
        X