• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday.

Why do I keep doing this to myself? :crazy:

And the rest of the daily trash heap.

And then you toss in some coffee money.

OH now I remember why I do this to myself. It's for the keepers

Now I don't know that much about this company other than they made machines from 1908 - 1950 And I don't know why this token is for amusement as the machines I have been able to find seem to be gumball machines.
    "Columbus Vending Co., the OK Vendor maker, released 81 different machines in our database under this trade name, starting in 1908."

Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

This was the second keeper for the day. A little bent out of shape.

But a touch of TLC on the mandrel and good as new.

I know I have said it before but I keep swinging till the cows come home or at least until I'm at the car and this one, which I think is my best for the day, came as I was headed for the car.

Once again I wish I knew more about this one. All I can get is information on a California company with the same name. It seems that I like Google but Google doesn't like me. 

Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce
      According to my information, the “O.K. Vender” (I‘m using the spelling as per the token, not your spelling of vendor) was produced by the Mills Novelty Co. and they released 583 different machines under that trade name, commencing in 1896. This is the 1912 model, as operated by the amusement company Bell:

[picture from the arcade-museum website]
      Although these were essentially  one-armed bandits, the idea behind the machines was that they evaded the prevailing gambling laws by incorporating “future-pay” and gum-vending features, as well as telling your fortune. The machine “payed out” in tokens rather than cash and you had to pay a nickel to redeem your “winnings”. You also had to grab your gum pretty quickly before the machine took it back again. You also compared your reel combination against the list on front of the machine to learn what the future held for you.
      On that basis, the machine was regarded as an amusement that was not captured by the gambling laws and was sold as having been “pronounced absolutely legal by the best authorities.”
      As for the bread token, these “good for” trade tokens (also known as chits or bingles) first appeared around 1885 and were still in use in the 1950’s. If you bought something of sufficient value, the merchant gave you one of these tokens entitling you to something of lesser value for free, which could be redeemed on your next visit to the store. It was intended to foster customer loyalty, and some of them had a cash discount transaction value… “good for 5 cents” or something similar.
      I doubt that the Van De Kamp Bakery on your token is linked to the large company of the same name that was based in Los Angeles. They proudly used a Dutch windmill as their logo… so it would be surprising for it not to be on their tokens too. I would think it’s just a coincidence since it’s not an uncommon Dutch name. There were thousands and thousands of these tokens issues by almost every kind of business you can imagine, including very small businesses that have long since disappeared and are no longer traceable.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thank you for the information on the OK VENDER Roger. I think it was probably one of those "auto correct" spelling cafufles that took a wrong turn.
        Like I said, I like Google but Google doesn't like me. :blush:
        Bruce

Comment

What type of machine are you using I use a Garret ace 350 it has a bouncy tone on most aluminum but I did find a coke classic can from 2006 yesterday about a foot deep lol
          New Jersey

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            When I made this post I was using the Minelab CTX 3030.
        Working...
        X