I was ticked off at myself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was ticked off at myself.

I had begun to think that I was not all that bad at finding the goodies on any site Mike a member of the other forum who is a newbie detectorist showed me that I was not as thorough as I had thought.
    So I headed back to the site where I had previously had good luck to see what else I had left behind.
    And to tell you the truth I was surprised at the results. As far as I am concerned if I am leaving pennies I am leaving silver.

I made sure to include that little aluminum grommet at the bottom right in this picture because it almost cost me a really nice find.
    Bling is bling no matter what it is but it can get the heart pumping at times.
    An old earring with a small cameo.

Not sure what this was but it looked promising at first.

And this one hit the CTX at 12/17 which is just right for possible gold.

But it was just cheap plating.

The first real find was
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Which was quickly followed by this crusty disappointment.

This is after a HP bath and when I say that the ground here is hard on coppers I mean it. 

Now it's time to get back to the story about that little grommet. It rang up as a zinc penny but showing at 7" so I dig a nice deep plug and get nothing.
    Rescan the hole and the upturned plug and nothing there. Place the plug back and scan again and it's back.
    Pull the plug out and cut it in half horizontally and still nothing, put it back and try again this time with the pinpointer at the surface and there it is.
    It was so small that it seemed deep. :duh:
    Now around 15' away I get a similar signal at 4" this time and I pull the plug and again no signal,
    repeat as before but even though it is showing up with the plug replaced it is not at the surface.
    Not wanting to tear the plug apart I replace it and move on thinking it is another grommet.
    About 1/2hr later as I am going back in the opposite direction my coil passes over the target again.
    So I pull the plug back out and this time divide it directly in half vertically and this is what I see right in the middle of the cut.

The last good signal was actually another little pocket spill. This time a 1907 dime, a dateless Vickie dime and a 1902 US V nickle.

Bruce

Comment

The 1902 US nickle was really in bad condition.

and after it dried out this was the result.

Not worthy of saving in a display as far as I was concerned and I tried different methods including HP and rubbing with lemon juice and dish soap to try and remove the opaque crust that formed over the surface. With nothing to loose I put it through my cleaning methods of reverse electrolysis and then tumbling. The results are acceptable and it is now in the case.

And this is the results of the other one. At least some parts are now recognizable.
      Bruce

Comment

Bruce, When I first got started Md'ing I had a mentor, He was good, like you always came back with a boat load.  :crazy:  This not for you, but some things he taught me for other members that may benefit.  One of the first things he said was about the coil, he told me think of it as an ice cream cone. you have a 9" coil on the surface you use most of the coil, as you get further in the dirt it narrows as a cone, depending on the detector is how far down you go. But his point was, that you may think your over lapping your swings and doing a blanket sweep, the further down the item is you could be just missing it by an inch. Since when I got started we did not have pinpointers, he showed me how to find I items quick, find the target area, which at that time did not have depth displays. dig the area around the coil, spread the dirt, and and scan the moved dirt. find the signal, then take hand fulls with the detector on its side and and move it over the coil until you got signal. separate that dirt into both hands and run each hand over the coil for signal and repeat the process. I can do this in about 15 seconds. Before I fill in my hole with the dirt , scan the hole again and a two fot parameter around the hole. (no need to fill in one hole when you can fill in two or how ever many at the same time. Then scan a ten foot parameter around the find, when one treasure is lost there may be more. Last but not last but not least is back to the cone/coil and ones that is just first starting out MD'ing make the mistake of holding the coil 6" to a foot off the ground. Depending on the detector, you maybe going down only 4" with that being only an inch of being  detectable. My coils have scratch marks from running on the surface. Sacrifice the coil it will take time.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

That indian penny is cool, pitting and all. Old! :dunno:  :laugh:
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
          X