What did I find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I find?

Here is a find a made a few years back. I think I know, but want to here what members think. The Information on this was found in North Central Colorado in the Mountains. It looks to be hand forged. and not modern. I really think we have a few members that will know.

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

its a nickle
    but i dont think it was hand forged  :rolf:  :rolf:

Comment

sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:

its a nickle
        :rolf:  :rolf: Nope it was stamped But I would have to see the mint mark to see if it came from Denver. :rolf:  :rolf:

Comment

sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:

its a nickle
        I don't know Tim I think that I can see a couple of chips and maybe some recent flaking there as well.
        If Chase will post a clearer pic I think we can prove that the nickle is a modern replica and not the artifact he thinks it is. :rolf:
        Chase thanks for the post my friend I wonder how long it will take to get the correct answer. :dunno:
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

What's left of your Ball and Chain?
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The clues for machine-made chains are generally that the links are of uniform size, shape and thickness, plus there is a slight bulge running like a ring around the welded join from where the two ends were pushed together as the weld was being made.
            So you can be pretty sure that what you have is hand-made by forging, but blacksmiths were still regularly making chains in country areas through to at least the 1920’s.
            It looks too heavy to be a horse hobble chain, so I would guess that (if found in a non-farming mountainous area and off the beaten track) it’s probably related to some industrial activity such as logging or mining. Even in areas without paths and tracks suitable for wagons, simple chain-pulled sleds were often used to haul big stuff down from mountains.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

The clues for machine-made chains are generally that the links are of uniform size, shape and thickness, plus there is a slight bulge running like a ring around the welded join from where the two ends were pushed together as the weld was being made.
              So you can be pretty sure that what you have is hand-made by forging, but blacksmiths were still regularly making chains in country areas through to at least the 1920’s.
              It looks too heavy to be a horse hobble chain, so I would guess that (if found in a non-farming mountainous area and off the beaten track) it’s probably related to some industrial activity such as logging or mining. Even in areas without paths and tracks suitable for wagons, simple chain-pulled sleds were often used to haul big stuff down from mountains.
              Roger, it very well could have been. There was a small mining operation of copper for a short period of time late 1800's The only logging in the area would have been shalt supports for the single mine. But this was found a few miles away from the mine. My thoughts when I found it was Bear trap.
              Grizz traps -- god-awful devices and troubling reminders of the past. Gone are California's grizzlies, and gone are the absent-minded ...

Comment

[QUOTE]chase wrote:

Originally posted by painshill post=160558
                Roger, it very well could have been. There was a small mining operation of copper for a short period of time late 1800's The only logging in the area would have been shalt supports for the single mine. But this was found a few miles away from the mine. My thoughts when I found it was Bear trap.
                Grizz traps -- god-awful devices and troubling reminders of the past. Gone are California's grizzlies, and gone are the absent-minded ...

That's a possibility too, but I believe I see significant wear and thinning on the inside of some of the links which suggest it has seen rather more heavy duty use.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Wow that is a very cool find Chase the wear on those links is very apparent even in the photos. The slight twist on that fist link looks as if it took quite a bit of force to do that.  How about a chain that might have been attached to a big Bear trap?? Was there Griz in that area way back when?
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Wow that is a very cool find Chase the wear on those links is very apparent even in the photos. The slight twist on that fist link looks as if it took quite a bit of force to do that.  How about a chain that might have been attached to a big Bear trap?? Was there Griz in that area way back when?
                    Yes Griz was up here. along with Brown and cinnamon which from what I could see was a brown bear with a dark brown stripe down the back. Black bear is still prevalent, we had wolves and Bison as well. They started to introduce the wolves but to the ranches objections We have domesticated Bison on ranches and some Beefalou's.   As Roger pointed out it could be part of the mining operation. Where it was found it could go either way. at the base of a canyon wall with rock out cropping's. but in an area where it could have been used for dragging timber in a choke like a skidster.

Comment

Working...
                    X