Is it real or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it real or not.

After yesterdays marathon hunt I just was not into another so I took the morning off.
    Not only the morning but a good part of the afternoon as well. :crazy:
    I started out the day asking Eric aka threedawgs if he wanted to come out and play but instead ended up visiting with him before I even got started.
    I don't know what was with me but I just wasn't feeling it today.
    I did manage to find this before I changed locations.

And when Eric showed up at the second site I showed it to him and stated "I don't think it's real"
    I thought that I could see 925 PAS. :?:

When I got home into tumbler it went for 2hrs with soap and water. No change.
    So in the tumbler with vinegar for 2hrs. Still no change in appearance.
    So it went into reverse electrolysis for 1/2hr and all it did was turn black.
    Back into the tumbler with vinegar for another hour. And what looked like plating is still there.

But on closer inspection it reads 925 FAS which is supposed to be real. :?:
    The 'FAS' mark appears on sterling silver jewelry that is also labeled as 925. FAS stands for fused alloy silver, meaning that a piece of sterling silver jewelry is infused with an alloy. Sterling silver therefore may have a stamp of FAS 925. In silver jewelry marked with the FAS 925 stamp, the number indicates that the jewelry is 92.5 percent silver and the rest is a fused silver alloy. Sterling silver, or 925 silver, contains 92.5 percent weight of silver, as compared to 99.9 in pure silver. The rest of the weight in 925 silver is typically copper, which strengthens the silver.
    I need to get a silver test kit.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

I don't know, but you look fabulous!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi Bruce
      very nice. Does this mean we're engaged?  :whistle:
      What you’ve been told about “FAS” is essentially correct but the problem is that it’s what is known as an “unauthorised mark”… that is, it has no legally substantiated quality or assay standard.
      Britain has (or at least had, until the European Commission interfered) the most comprehensive standards for silver marking and Canada inherited a similar basis for its own laws, including their applicability to imported products.
      Silver items do not have to marked unless sold as “silver” and tiny items are exempted. It’s permitted to put an unauthorised mark on silver items as long as it is not intended to mislead or deceive and since “FAS” has no accepted legal definition, it can be freely applied to any item of any standard. Manufacturers (especially foreign importers) have played fast and loose with that possible loophole over the years – particularly in respect of arguments that, when accompanied by “925”, it refers only to the purity of external plating or cladding (electro-plate, silver-fill, vermeil etc) and not to the entire item.
      Unauthorised marks like “FAS” can mean anything the manufacturer wants them to mean. Manufacturers are also allowed to add marks such as their name, initials, pattern number etc and there was a (now defunct) jewellery manufacturer trading as the “Fantastic Antique Silver” company who also used the “FAS” mark in a similar unregulated manner.
      America is less well regulated in that it is permitted to sell items as “silver” without any marks at all, as a concession to First Nation craft workers who cannot readily make use of the assay system and its standards.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks for the info Roger I am in need of a proper test kit.
        Back to your first comment though,
        Very sweet of you to ask but it just wouldn't work with us. I don't like long distance relationships. :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:
        Bruce

Comment

2ndoldman wrote:

Very sweet of you to ask but it just wouldn't work with us. I don't like long distance relationships. :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:
            Aaaaaw! But I've bought the dress and everything.  :kiss:
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I don't know why that made me laugh so hard?  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss you are not the only one splitting a gut right now. :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:
                Big hug and kisses to you Roger but 

Bruce

Comment

My, oh, my,  what a picture!
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I guess the last name would be My second old man is a pain :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  :dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno:
                  I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

I don't know, but you look fabulous!
                       :laugh:
                    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
                    X