Dirt fishing at it's finest! I caught an 8lb salmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt fishing at it's finest! I caught an 8lb salmo

Back into the water today. Do any of you have any idea how hard it is to do a grid pattern in the water? :crazy:
    Some of the odd ball finds today included keys.

And cutlery.

And some of the non metal things that show up in the scoop.

Do any of you ever feel that you find too darn much stuff?

This is how I found those brass spikes today. Still embedded in the wood.

And shining a light into the water works real good. :rolf:

My oldest coin today.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

And now the lead.

Yup that is an 8 pound lead salmon.

The scoop of the day had two finds the first was the little brown bottle with the cork in it and this was also in the same scoop.
    As found.

A short electrolysis bath and ready for the tumbler.

And voila one sweet brass padlock for the collection.

I bet if I had a key it would still work.
    Bruce

Comment

It amazes me... the stuff you find. What the heck is that big lead fish? Some kind of trolling weight?

Comment

A good days hunt, a lot of different things.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The GM Door key brought back first car memories. B)
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

JoshinMO wrote: The GM Door key brought back first car memories. B)
            me too josh I had a couple Chevy s back in the day. That looks like a door trunk key to me. Love that lock and the salmon is very cool too
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Neat. As Driftwood said, the lead fish is a “downrigger” weight, used for fishing by the “trolling” method from a slow-moving boat. They’re used to catch fish living in the pelagic zone (neither close to the bottom nor the shore) such as salmon, mackerel and kingfish. The weight trails in the water and keeps the lure at a designated depth on a cable. Usually the weights are ball shaped but streamlined fish shapes are also used because they create less drag, track deeper at any given speed and align better with the rear of the boat. They also have the advantage that you can adjust the tail on the soft lead to make them track close to, or far out, from the boat and that may help when making turns in small boats.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Another great hunt Bruce. The lead fish is a downrigger weight used to fish salmon in deep waters. I really like that brass padlock.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Driftwood wrote: It amazes me... the stuff you find. What the heck is that big lead fish? Some kind of trolling weight?
                  As the others have stated it is indeed a trolling weight. Roger gave a very good explanation of how they work.
                  Thanks Roger.

If only the salmon weight had had a proper brass or heavy copper loop instead of the iron one it would still be usable.
                  These are just 2 of the ball weights that I have found. The one on the left had a homemade plastic fin added to assist with tracking.

Bruce

Comment

JoshinMO wrote: The GM Door key brought back first car memories. B)
                    I don't know why but I get a kick out of finding keys Josh.
                    The older the better :woohoo: but I always wonder how the person who lost it got home or into their home when they did get home.
                    Bruce

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote: Another great hunt Bruce. The lead fish is a downrigger weight used to fish salmon in deep waters. I really like that brass padlock.
                      The padlock will be a great addition to my collection Ron and I will be scouring that area to see if the key shows up for sure

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                      X