OH OH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH OH!

Two hunts today, the first was strolling at the tide line for 2hrs during low tide.
    Chasing pull tabs seemed to par for the coarse at this beach. And it looks like another skim boarded lost their cellphone.

But I did pull my first O there :woohoo:

Following the tides like a surfer chasing big waves I moved to the second piece of water this time wet suit on and I was chest deep digging everything I could.
    Lead, brass, copper, lighters and tags.

An interesting note about the big brass shotgun shell you see there. Delaware Cartridge Co
    Most likely the Canadian one but possibly the American earlier version. so either the American 1860-1888 shell or the Canadian 1918-1927.

shotshell, shotshells, shotgun shells, cartouches, shot shells, shotshell, munition, patron, patronen, patroner, jagd, ammunition, ammo, dominion, ivi, eley, kynoch

Unfortunately I speared it on the end of the scoop. :sad: But while looking through the sifter for the missing signal (it was still stuck on the scoop) I found this nice little bottle.

Speaking of glass bottles I did manage another old one but sadly still no Ginger Beer bottles.Thorpe's most likely pre 1935 http://www.theouthouse.ca/mainland-b...ted-my-21-14/#
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

I don't know what the rest of you have experienced as far as cutlery goes but on both the CTX and the Excal they all sound weird. Especially spoons and forks.  :crazy:

I could see no hallmarks but it looks like M&B Silver CC to me on the big twisted one.

Chasing all of those pull tabs at the first beach paid off at the second location. The second O is a nice big chunky size 11 10K which is missing one of the diamonds :sad: But what the heck. I'm happy. 

Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce
      The long spoon is a “bar spoon” for mixing drinks, in a version of the “Windsor twist” style which first appeared in 1847 from a company known as Rogers Brothers. In later catalogues, it’s specifically referred to as a “Tom Collins” spoon (that cocktail first appeared in London in the 1860’s, was popularised in America from 1876 and more widely known as a "high-ball").
      I’m sure the maker’s mark is actually “M & B Silver Co” and – although there are other possibilities – I’m pretty sure it’s “Sheffield plate” from Mappin and Brothers. There were two branches of the Mappin family operating in the silverware trade under different names but Mappin & Brothers were at 6-10 Bakers Hill, Sheffield with showrooms in London and were trading under that name from 1846. They didn’t produce electro-plate until 1865. Joseph Mappin later made sales trips abroad and set up an agency in Canada.
      The business was sold out of the family in 1884 (but kept its trading name), and struggled under its new owners. The London retail arm was then bought back by John Mappin in 1903, and amalgamated into the world-famous Mappin & Webb company the following year.
      So, I reckon that spoon probably dates somewhere between about 1876-1902
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hey Bruce, That was a great effort with great rewards.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Killer MD finds Bruce! Boy these post sure are educational, and it never ceases to amaze me the stuff that you find in the ground. I've got MD on my wish list this year . Thanks for sharing em'!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

You are a lucky man Bruce. not all of us have a nice beach to walk at low tide man. most of the soil here where I live is red clay. spring and fall it can be dug but only because it is wet. in Summer it dries hard as concrete and cracks.
            Congrats on the finds I allways check out your posts with great interest as you never know what you will see. One of these days the arrowhead gods are going to smile on you and I cant wait. Good luck in the hunt.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote: Killer MD finds Bruce! Boy these post sure are educational, and it never ceases to amaze me the stuff that you find in the ground. I've got MD on my wish list this year . Thanks for sharing em'!
              Thanks for the kind words but all I do is find the stuff. Roger is the one to congratulate for the best part of the educating here.

I hope you get your wish list filled out to the max this year. I would love to see the type of things you, or any of you folks down south, can find. :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:
              Bruce

Comment

Hoss if I am ever lucky enough to be blessed by the rock gods I won't need to use this forum to post because the whole world will hear my triumphant shout.
                However I will still make the post just to explain the hootin and hollerin you guys heard from up north. :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:
                Bruce

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote: Hey Bruce, That was a great effort with great rewards.
                  Thank you Ron.
                  Bruce

Comment

Roger / Sir Painshill   I do hope that you never tire of researching the oddball things I find.
                    Your additions to my posts are most pleasing to read my friend and I learn from each and every reply you write.

PS tomorrows post has something in it for you from SOHO SQUARE I just wish that I had found the whole bottle (and it's contents).
                    Bruce

Comment

Working...
                    X