Non stop digging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non stop digging.

Yesterday once again I had to wait for the tide to be just right and only got into the water at 1:30 but had to stop after only 3hrs.
    The reason I had to stop was because of the broken the glass I kept finding.
    There was no way that I was going to put it back in the water for some kid to step on.
    And the weight of it all actually sunk my floating sifter at the end of those 3hrs.

Speaking of all of the glass now I need to find an intact bottle to place this top on.

It was non stop for those 3hrs and there was not a single clear clean target in the bunch.
    The reason is that each and every scoop came up with more than one item in the scoop.
    Bits and pieces of lead were everywhere.

And brass up the wazoo.

Out of all of this trash I did manage some keepers. Some like this lead foil are interesting because you almost never find them whole.
    It was all crumpled up but I saw the writing and was able to open it with very little difficulty.

Other things like the small cigaret holder stem were eyeball finds while searching for glass pieces.

The pipe bowl looks to have ARCXIE on it and the ferrule is electroplated.

Occasionally the tiniest little things showed up.
    This is my thinnest penny and my smallest round ball, only 8mm in diameter.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

This pocketknife was a quality made one and I wish the blade had not succumbed to the saltwater.

Brass once again was the star of the day like these pieces.

The small safety pin still works and the decorative piece was a pin at one time there is a solder point on the back.

Other than a listing of the company name in the BC Archives I have found no information on this company.

And this sweet padlock would still work if I had a key. The mechanism still moves. 

This is the group all together for size reference.

Bruce

Comment

I can help a bit.
      The lead foil is the sealing cap from a Crosse & Blackwell product… likely a condiment. They were (and still are) manufacturers and purveyors of dried, bottled and canned grocery products, with headquarters at Manor House, 21 Soho Square in London between 1838 – 1925. The coat of arms for the Royal Warrant looks to be Edward VII rather than George V, so we can narrow the date down to 1901 – 1910.

In those days Crosse & Blackwell sold things like potted meats, bottled fruits and fruit syrups, jams, pickles, calves' feet jellies, and essences of anchovy or shrimp. Their speciality was table condiment sauces with “secretive” recipes such as Royal Table Sauce, Sir Robert Peel's Sauce (a new sauce, of a peculiarly delicious and piquant flavour, first introduced in 1847. It has received universal commendation from the best judges, and is in very general use at the tables of the nobility, and the principal clubs. To those who prefer a rich warm sauce, it may be confidently recomended as the best sauce ever produced. Sold in bottles, at 1s.6d. and 2s 6d. each; and in handsome China vases, to be placed on the table, at 3s. each) and their famous Soho Sauce (the flattering reception this Sauce has met with from the most distinguished epicures, warrants the proprietors in recommending it as the best of its kind extant. It is composed of a variety of ingredients, which are all so thoroughly amalgamated that, while its piquancy is extraordinary, no deciding flavour can be said to predominate. For fish, game, steaks, and made dishes, this is a most desirable sauce).

Edmund Crosse and Thomas Blackwell acquired the Soho Square building in 1838, but before that it had another kind of secret sauciness. Between 1778-1801 it was a notorious but discrete high class brothel catering for… ahem… shall we say ‘eclectic’ tastes :whistle: (then known as the White House). Today, it’s occupied by a ticketing company that acts as an agent for West End theatres, concerts, festivals and sporting events.

The Hutchison Brothers Company of Victoria is listed in the 1914 edition of “Who Makes What in British Columbia” as a foundry and metal-casting business (mostly brass) making everything from marine/stationary steam engines and boiler parts to electrical and ornamental fittings for municipal and domestic use.

The pipe is difficult without being more certain about “ARCXIE”, which I think is more likely to be “ARCHIE… something”. I don’t recognise the EP mark… in fact I’m not even sure what the first character is supposed to be. That’s always a problem if it’s a symbol rather than a letter because the marks are usually listed alphabetically in the catalogues. If you’re looking for something that isn’t a letter and can’t easily be described you may have to trawl through hundreds of pages… and it may not even be a British mark.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Roger the information on the Crosse & Blackwell lead sealing cap is depressing
          I was hoping for a nice single malt. :woohoo:
        Information that I have found out about the Hutchison Brothers is that they were very enterprising fellows.
        They designed and provided Victoria with it's iconic cluster lights from 1910 - 1912  the design of which is still used today.

They also started Victoria's first taxi service and soon afterwards announced that they were going to build motor cars. https://books.google.ca/books?id=S48...livery&f=false
        The plate is likely from one of their 4HP motors, as yet though I have found no actual reference to the vehicles they made.
        The pipe bowl could in fact read ARCHIE and I do know what you mean by having to "trawl through hundreds of pages
        Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X