My last 2 outings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My last 2 outings.

I'm still in the water at the same place trying to find at least one of the missing keys for those old padlocks but no luck so far. :dunno:
    But the brass is still showing up so there is a chance.

And when I am finding brass there is always something interesting or different. Day 1 results.
    I am glade that I didn't spear this shot gun shell.

U.M.C. CO. No 12
    Head and primer appear to be the same metal (non magnetic). Brass height low with no design around the outside. Gauge designation only is usually only found on all brass shells. Scarce headstamp. 1873-1890

Speaking of shotgun shells that is what I thought this one was when I saw the end in the scoop.

But it ended up being my second gun oilier and fits perfectly with the date rand on the UMC shell.

Cushman & Denison NY pat. date 1889. A little worse for wear but the spring mechanism still works.

I have no idea on the date range for this but the manufacturer is Andrew B Hendryx (1834 - 1907)

Another suspender buckle to add to the collection.

I wonder if these buckle pieces I am finding are from the early 1900s style swim suits? 18-Jun-1916 ... of Nemo attractive stripes figured effects polka dots figures and floral patterns ... the or Triple Strip is they praise it nevertheless PALM BEACH SUITS
    Also found another spoon.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

And here's the group .

Day 2 for this post is actually day 4 in this little area and the finds are thinning out but I managed a few keepers. An oddball broach.

I found a third copper ingot and I am clueless as to what they were used for. They all measure 3" X3" and 3/8" thick. The brass sprinkler cap I thought was a flask top until cleaning reveled the actual purpose.

And the worlds thinnest dime.

As I have said many times brass holds up much better is saltwater that silver does.
    This is what the dime looked like when found. Also another silver quarter and what may be the clasp for a chainmail purse.

All cleaned up and ready for the shadow box.

Bruce

Comment

Nice finds....what did you put spoon in to clean it?....I found a fork the other day that I can't wash crud off of
      I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Jeffery there are many ways to clean silver tarnish, at least I assume that the fork you found is silver.
        This is a fairly easy way to clean heavily tarnished silverware and you should have most if not everything kicking around your house already.

If you don't tell anyone though I will let you in on my little secret.
        Silver really tarnishes in salt water so I used an SOS pad on this spoon. :rolf:
        Bruce

Comment

Bruce, if I found like you do I would have to quit my daytime job! :crazy:  Wait I don't have a daytime job. :whistle:  :rolf:  I have an all time job. :rolf:  :rolf:  Shhhhhh I am playing hooky. :unsure:  :laugh:
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

It's amazing what you pull out of the ground!
            Met a guy at a party yesterday that collects padlocks. He showed me some pics and has quite a collection. He also used to be a locksmith so he knows how and does make his own keys for the padlocks.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Some of the old brass padlocks are very collectable Greg. I will post a pic of the ones that I have found in a little while.
              Bruce

Comment

Working...
              X