A very short hunt on Saturday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very short hunt on Saturday.

I stupidly forgot to charge up the Excal.
      So my time in the water was very limited yesterday.
    It is almost impossible to dig in the mud in some areas without pulling up a ton of broken glass.
    This small area that I have been working recently only encompasses 50 feet by 75 feet and was very heavily used as a popular swimming spot.
    Some of this broken glass is modern but much of it is period glass. The broken white container is a MacLaren's Imperial Cheese jar circa 1890-1920. And I am only up to my waist while finding this crap.

Occasionally a whole one pops up like this 3 in one oil company glass bottle. "1905-1910 The corporate charter is amended and the name of the company is changed from G.W. Cole to 3-IN-ONE Oil Company. Green glass bottles having the name 3-IN-ONE in raised letters and a cork stopper are sold. Circa 1910 metal screw-top caps make their appearance, while the rest of the bottle remains the same."

I have said before that it is almost impossible to find a single clear target and this explains a lot.
    I gave up on counting the copper square nails in this lump once I hit 30.

And the wooden thing, which I thought might be a napkin ring is actually some sort of wooden wheel.

Here is the cleaned up brass and copper from the short hunt.

Nothing special but I did once again get an assortment of shell casings From the 38-40 live round down to the tinny Henry 22s.

Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

So what did I do with the rest of my day?
    I decided to clean up some finds starting with this old shingling ax head I found the last time I was up at Micheal's place.

And the old boat hook is looking like it might become a unique walking stick.

Bruce

Comment

Great variety of things from the past, as always. That axe was chewed up and then some! Nice bottle. Great results for a short hunt.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Thank you Charlie. I  forgot to add my nitro moment yesterday. I really got a start while sifting through the muck and saw this shining up at me. It looked much better when it was wet.

Bruce

Comment

Not to bad for a short hunt, I love that axe head! And I agree that boat hook would make for a good walking stick head,  that you could use to push briars back with and so on.
          I would've had a moment too with that big gem staring back at me, gee golly whiz! is it fake?  Good hunt ! Thanks for sharing!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote: Not to bad for a short hunt, I love that axe head! And I agree that boat hook would make for a good walking stick head,  that you could use to push briars back with and so on.
            I would've had a moment too with that big gem staring back at me, gee golly whiz! is it fake?  Good hunt ! Thanks for sharing!
            The green gem is just green glass in a cheap brass bezel made to look fancy. :sick:
            The boat hook I think will be good for bottle hunting in the shallow water. I have watched other bottle hunters walking in the shallows poking into the oyster shell mounds with a stick and what they do is feel for something slippery at the end of the stick. so I think that the hook could maybe do double duty.
            Round off the broken end to poke into the shell mounds and the hook part might help with the prying  :dunno:
            Bruce

Comment

Working...
            X