Bottles, Brass and a little silver.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottles, Brass and a little silver.

I am still a little waterlogged after yesterday. I spent just over 8 hours in chest deep water but I had fun.
    I won't show any more of the broken glass that I find for a while, suffice it to say that there was lots.
    I did manage some unbroken bottles and my third heart breaker of another broken blue glass AB bottle.

Here are some of them almost clean.

Once again brass up the wazoo.Maybe I should open a hardware store. :rolf:

I'm clueless about what this one is from.

The thing I find interesting about quite a bit of the old brass is that even the tiniest little pieces have patten information on them.

Sometimes though it is a guessing game like for this one. At first I thought hat pin but the stem of it is far to long.

So instead I think it was an old table decoration from the original Japanese gardens.
    http://www.tweedridevictoria.ca/japa...-at-the-gorge/
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

While I am the subject of whatsits. Is this from a sewing machine? It is 3 5/16" long.

And is this possibly from a ladies purse. 7" long for this one.

When I first saw this one I thought that it was another broken sugar sifter but then I noticed that the handle was wrapped around and around for some reason. :crazy:

So I carefully started to unwrap it.

A little judicious straightening.

And a final cleaning. It is just under 4" long.

If only this had been found out of the salt water.

Once the crust came off in the reverse electrolysis.

Bruce

Comment

It looked like one of those exploded technical drawings that show all of the parts as they all fit together. So I tossed it into the tumbler to clean the parts up. It is a ladies Addison pocket watch. Possible silver back but not marked.

I did manage to find 2 more silver plated spoons though.

And one not to crusty silver dime.

Bruce

Comment

incredible haul  hmy:
        i really like that multi colored blue bottle in the first pic

Comment

That's a lot of cool stuff.  I like that bottle too
          South Dakota

Comment

Thanks to some other researchers I have some answers
            this is the hook end.

"The item with the hook at the end is an old button hook.. Our daughter still uses them to this day to braid the horse manes.."

And this

"The item with the three positions, is from an old automobile.. Off is obvious, as is Bat.. the mag would be for the magneto..You would start the car on the battery and then switch over to the magneto.. but you have to be pretty old to know/remember that.. My uncle had an old Ford, either a T or an A (I cannot remember which), on the farm.. I drove it when I was very young. Here is a schematic of one type".

And that certainly goes together with the old spark plugs i found in the area.
            Bruce

Comment

Who knew that a button hook could be a cool find.
              There are so many types. :woohoo: http://www.buttoncountry.com/Div4Hooks1.html
              Bruce

Comment

The pierced spoon is the same as the one I suggested might be a sugar sifter on another thread, Bruce. Now we can see the handle, it’s clear that it’s actually a promotional advertising spoon that was given to drug-stores and such for hygienic dispensing of tiny bead-like pieces of candy-coated chewing gum – often from a dish or bowl on the counter.
                Chiclet gum dates back to the 1880’s but I think that particular spoon appeared in 1906 as part of the promotion for the new peppermint flavour product, launched that year by the Sen-Sen Chiclet company of New York, owned by Frank Fleer. Here’s a 1910 advert where it’s priced at 5 cents an ounce when sold “loose”.

I believe your original guess on the hatpin was correct. They originated in the 1850's to secure straw hats which had no ribbon to tie them on and gradually got longer and more ornate as fashions changed. They reached their peak in length around 1910 and 10-12 inches was a typical length for the stem of the pin at that time before they became shorter again into the 1920's.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

As usual Bruce....amazing finds and exceptional thread! Always a highlight of my day.
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Once again Roger you have proven that I can find this stuff in the ground but not on the internet. :rolf:
                    Once I input "chiclets spoon"  :crazy: the search became easy. Here is a box with the spoon.

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting. :woohoo:
                    Bruce

Comment

Working...
                    X