Log dogs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log dogs.

Yesterday I went back to a small beach I refer to as marble beach as I always seem to find marbles there.

Over 100 of them so far.

Most of us have experienced old iron objects giving us a false high tone and dig it thinking that we have found something sweet.
    Sometimes the iron is good sometimes not.

These are what I refer to as log dogs.

They are used to hold logs together to make a log boom.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	index [replaced].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	223764
    Only one mystery item yesterday, possibly an odometer for a bike?

And I swear that I can't find a beach anywhere here on the island that doesn't have old brass.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Well here is everything fresh out of the tumbler and oh yes I also found another nice skeleton key.

Bruce

Comment

Amazing diversity of items Bruce. Given that we sometimes puzzle over them today and they're often no more than a hundred years old, I wonder how much of a puzzle they would be if any of them survived for centuries or even millenia. Would future archaeologists scratch their heads in the same way that we now scratch our heads over plummets, cupstones, Clovis beveled rods and such?
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I am certain that will happen Roger.
        I doubt that our present day methods of recording (computers,laser disks etc.) will survive so they will be relying upon personal interpretation just as we are today.
        The sad part of it all is that the stone artifacts will survive but our modern junk metal will not.
        Bruce

Comment

I like the log dogs. Cool looking pieces of work.

Comment

B) them log dogs look like some kinda post apocalyptic weapons,lol. Bruce i love finding marbles! (good thing too cause i seem to keep losing mine,lol  :crazy: ) i find em" from all time periods, clay "commies", benningtons, i have a bunch of white painted china ones, a few agates,and a  bunch of old akro's and other glass kinds too. i find em' when i comb the gravel bar's along the river here in town and sometimes along the shore too. i'll post em' up when i get the chance.
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Your mystery item may be a counter... B)
              That's the first thing I thought, as an example it looks very similar to a counter from a hay baler, that counts the bales as they drop off the back of the baler. Just wanted to throw that out there!
              YOU GO RIGHT, I GO LEFT- AND I REAP THE BENEFITS!!

Comment

Jay I would not want to meet anyone carrying one of those in a dark alley  :crazy:
                Most of the marbles i find are 1940s - 1970s but i have found a few older ones. This is my collection so far this year.

Bruce

Comment

Myrna I did look at hay bale counters but it more resembled a bicycle odometer in my mind. There is no provision for a reset button on this one.
                  I Think it looked similar to this when in use. 

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                  X