This weekend junk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekend junk.

On Saturday it was a scorcher here the thermometer in my yard was over 95 Fahrenheit so I spent 7hrs in the water and does that ever beat the heat. :tu:
    I went down to a spot I had seen a bottle hunter on Friday while I was driving around and the first thing that I saw was a couple overturn their canoe trying to shoot the rapids.
    Sorry that it is out of focus but here they are rounding up their floating goods.

Not long after they rounded the bend this group of kayakers showed up to play in the rapids so I assumed that the couple were able to recover most of their stuff as they never came back.

The bottle hunter was not very thorough as there were still some to find. Most are going to the be recycled.

But there were some nice ones as well.the Pepsi bottle is marked 1955 and I like the slogans on the Stubby bottle "a jolly good mixer" and "zip in every sip".

Not a ton of targets for the amount of time I was in there but the brass and copper does add up.

And I did finally found my first homemade bullet fishing sinkers.

Sunday was a whole different weather story as we were blanketed all day by smoke from nearby forest fires. This is a shot of the sun at 10:30 in the morning and it never cleared all day.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

I only spent 5hrs in the water as the air was cooler than the water and it gets chilly when your wearing a wet shirt. More lead for the melting pot.

And more brass to recycle.

As I said in the title just junk this weekend but I did manage a couple of curious finds the first of which is this pair of whatsits.

The penny is for size reference.

And this one has me stumped as well. When it first came out covered in muck I wondered why a piece of wood set of the detector but stuck it in my pouch and carried on. When I hit the beach I cleaned it up somewhat and decided to take it home.

Further cleaning still leaves me in the dark as to what it was.

Brass spring on top with copper wire wrapped around a wooden core. The gasket at the top is leather.

And the base is bakelite.

Bruce

Comment

It reminds me of a more complicated Electro Magnet than the ones we made as kids.  I wonder also if it might relate to Telegraph equipment.  By the way, you find some awesome bottles.
      \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

For whatits - check out this
        old capacitors

Comment

Thank you Gater that is exactly what they are. :woohoo: 
          Any idea what the other one might be?
          Bruce

Comment

Like Taxidermist wrote, it looks like an electromagnet. Maybe a part of electric engine?
            Or some other kind of electric coil

Comment

Electromagnets needed an iron core no matter how old they were.

But telegraph equipment has some merit and is a very real possibility.

Thank you for the suggestion taxidermist. :woohoo:
              Bruce

Comment

It’s a transformer winding, Bruce. It might have been used “as-is”, or it might be the internal coil for what’s known as a loose-coupled receiving transformer. Widely used in the early 1900’s through to about 1920 for wireless telegraphy applications and also (when loose-coupled) the most popular tuneable receiver for early wireless radio sets (crystal radios and such). The core for the winding was usually wood or hard rubber.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That beer bottle on the far left looks like an old one.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thank you for the additional information Roger, I doubt that it will ever be 100% identified but it's close enough for me. :woohoo:
                    Matt yes that bottle is old, unfortunately there are no identification marks on it so the style is the only indicator of age.
                    Bruce

Comment

Working...
                    X