Yunk, yunk and more yunk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yunk, yunk and more yunk.

Just a play on words because it was not all junk but I definitely found enough of it in the last two days.
    Does anyone know what these are for? Click image for larger version

Name:	php3xBA2FPM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	167792 I have found a dozen or more of them in the last two years while working in the Gorge and they always come in pairs Click image for larger version

Name:	phpJRSv8OPM.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	167793 This one at first looked like it could have been from an overturned canoe. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpl7mvRmPM.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	167794 But with the damage it is more likely to have been tossed away. Click image for larger version

Name:	php8BUPvUPM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	167795 I am glad that the recycle place takes any bottle that I give them and even the destroyed cans as well. PS the hubcap was a very good Frisbee shot as it was about 175' out from shore. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpRejQNgPM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	167796
    And of course the recycle place just loves the brass and copper that is found. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpKya82iPM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	167797 I did add another spoon to the collection. One day they will become a wind chime. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpmtQMCFPM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	167798 Now the next two items came out from the same hole. But when you are hunting in the Gorge that does not always equate to the same age. Anyways this is either a 1900 or a 1906 Barber head V nickle. and it's pretty toasty. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpKXctnlPM.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	167799
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	phpHpLyAyPM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	167801
    And this one is my favorite from today. If there are any nautical enthusiasts out there that can identify this ship please speak up. Thinking that it would be easy to identify has not been the case for me. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_184.gif
Views:	126
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	167804

Name:	phpKVdNLLPM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	167802

Name:	php2wFsqDPM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	167803
    Bruce

Comment

Small enough to be a Monopoly piece.
      But it sure looks like one of the "Iron Clad" ships from the civil War....

Jess B.

Dang you sure did pick a lot of yunk junk.
      Was that place used as a dump site at one time?
      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
      Circa:1982

Comment

Hey Bruce, That little ship is a cool find. Keep on beeping and digging.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Nice boat!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

the first things look like old steel caps to a pair of boots. thats my guess!
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Heck of an array, Bruce. Love the little ship
              Rhode Island

Comment

Here's a battleship from 1915 - this one's Russian.
                https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...battleship.jpg

Your boat may be a generic battle ship charm for a bracelet - there's a loop formed by the crane on the ships stern. lots of country's were building up their navy to flex their world powers: many of the ships appear to have a similar build. Interesting bunch of yunk there Bruce!

Name:	LittleBigBoat.gif
Views:	32
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	167998
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Last edited by Olden; 08-12-2015, 02:52 AM.
                If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
                  Here's a battleship from 1915 - this one's Russian.
                  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...battleship.jpg

Your boat may be a generic battle ship charm for a bracelet - there's a loop formed by the crane on the ships stern. lots of country's were building up their navy to flex their world powers: many of the ships appear to have a similar build. Interesting bunch of yunk there Bruce!
                  [ATTACH]n167998[/ATTACH]
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Thanks for trying Olden. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_123.gif
Views:	125
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	168125

The loop is there as you noticed but I think that it was never used as a pendant. More likely a game piece of some sort.
                  Monopoly had a similar game piece Click image for larger version

Name:	file.php.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	168126

But I think that this one predates that one. Especially with the double row of cannon ports.
                  Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by OnewiththewilD View Post
                    the first things look like old steel caps to a pair of boots. thats my guess!
                    It's funny how many members on the other forums also said that they were for steel toed boots. But I am 100% confident that they are not those.
                    Bruce

Comment

I'm thinking the 'boot toes' are some sort of sacrificial anode: they're made in many shapes, and used for lots of applications.

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/index.p...orking.253180/
                      Last edited by Olden; 08-15-2015, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                        2ndoldman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You may have something there.
                        Now I need to try and understand why always in pairs and what the heck are they doing dumped in the saltwater of the Gorge?

Maybe they were clamped together over a part of a boat motor or hull which was prone to getting
                      bumped on rocks at low tide? I couldn't tell if they had holes for screws, but they do have a flat end
                      and an end that looks like it could be slipped onto something else for a fit.

Name:	canada.gif
Views:	46
Size:	565 Bytes
ID:	168756

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                        2ndoldman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You are correct they are made to slip over something. That is one thing that has puzzled me but your possible explanation has it's merits. Thank you.

The battleship is a Monopoly piece Bruce. It's from the 1940's edition of the game, like this one:

http://www.timetradingpostvortex.co....ion-3939-p.asp

You have won second prize in a beauty competition. Go to jail. Go directly to jail! Do not pass "GO" or collect £200

Just thinking about the metal caps for the moment.
                      Last edited by painshill; 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM.
                      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks Roger. But I don't want to go to jail and I need that 200 quid
                        Bruce

Comment

Working...
                        X