My tenth big fify of the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tenth big fify of the year.

Was a sad disappointment but that part will come later.
    I had to work hard for yesterdays trinkets. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpd355UjAM.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	170072 The brass leaf thingy is probably some sort of candle holder. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpl6N60SAM.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	170073
    These modern blazer buttons provided a moment of excitement when the first thing I saw was the date. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpEjKTewAM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	170074 With the fire situation the way it is here on the whole west coast
    I would hate to see what would have happened if some kid or a stoner accidentally set off the ships flair. Click image for larger version

Name:	php9hYTKoAM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	170075 This little brass piece looks like it may be for burning incense. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpod95wBAM.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	170076 And since I was swinging the 17" coil to cover ground yesterday the clad count suffered.
    But gas was still paid for so that's OK with me. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpls6xGWAM.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	170077 We all know that if you dig enough of these pull tabs. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpP4ZGXHAM.jpg
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	170078 Good things can happen.
    This funky ring looked like silver and brass when it came out. Click image for larger version

Name:	php8SmUbqAM.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	170079
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

But after two hours in the tumbler I am beginning to think that it may be gold and silver? Click image for larger version

Name:	phpA7wzJxAM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	170082 These next two are definitely silver. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpo9mXTAAM.jpg
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	170083 Click image for larger version

Name:	php3I2eleAM.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	170084 Click image for larger version

Name:	php33w4PGAM.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	170085 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpMaoY5WAM.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	170086 OK on to the sad big fifty.
    I had a sweet high tone and a reading of 13/45 on the CTX and the first thing I saw while it was still in the whole was the reeded edge. Click image for larger version

Name:	phprYsSUfAM.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	170087 But once out of the ground the colour and weight were all wrong. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpyL3S65AM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	170088 Yes it is a big fifty center but Sadly not the right type. 32 year old MacDonald's tokens are not what I was hoping for. Click image for larger version

Name:	php6U1kc0AM.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	170089
    Bruce

Comment

Is the McDonalds token French on the reverse?
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it is.

Bruce, I'm always amazed at the quantity of goods revealed by your digging. I imagine that if it were all one hole, you'd be somewhere on the outskirts of Peking long ago. If they had hand held versions of the "sonar" type devises archaeologists used to scan what's down there, I'd say goodbye to surface hunting for a spell.

I just went and checked. The one I bought the Mrs. years ago, because she wanted to take it up, is a Fisher M-scope. Model 1225-X. We've never used it. My only personal excuse is I knew it must have a learning curve; that it was art, not science. I would need to learn to distinguish various sounds, etc. I think had she actually used it, I would have followed. After the first Pine Tree Shilling. Lol, just kidding. Knew a guy found one in like new condition. That's likely, or the Oak Tree Shilling, the Holy Grail for detectorists in the far northeastern US. Me, a brass or copper point would fit that bill, although the coin would be number one for sure.
      Anyway, that's the one I bought. It seemed a compromise. Not a Radio Shack cheapie, not something that would really discriminate, etc., etc.

Great hunt as always, Bruce!
      Rhode Island

Comment

Cool finds! I enjoy seeing your new treasures.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_797.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	170152 This is the other side.
          Last edited by 2ndoldman; 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM.
          Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by clovisoid View Post
            Is the McDonalds token French on the reverse?
            Yes it does have French on the reverse. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpJ5WLAVPM.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	170210
            Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
              Bruce, I'm always amazed at the quantity of goods revealed by your digging. I imagine that if it were all one hole, you'd be somewhere on the outskirts of Peking long ago. If they had hand held versions of the "sonar" type devises archaeologists used to scan what's down there, I'd say goodbye to surface hunting for a spell.

I just went and checked. The one I bought the Mrs. years ago, because she wanted to take it up, is a Fisher M-scope. Model 1225-X. We've never used it. My only personal excuse is I knew it must have a learning curve; that it was art, not science. I would need to learn to distinguish various sounds, etc. I think had she actually used it, I would have followed. After the first Pine Tree Shilling. Lol, just kidding. Knew a guy found one in like new condition. That's likely, or the Oak Tree Shilling, the Holy Grail for detectorists in the far northeastern US. Me, a brass or copper point would fit that bill, although the coin would be number one for sure.
              Anyway, that's the one I bought. It seemed a compromise. Not a Radio Shack cheapie, not something that would really discriminate, etc., etc.

Great hunt as always, Bruce!
              Charlie I found a You Tube video that shows that your detector is quite easy to use. Put some batteries in and try it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe8NqlkCZQU
              And here is a link for the owners manual if you don't know where yours is. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/477...pe-1225-X.html
              Bruce

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                That's great! Thanks very much, Bruce. I'll watch it with the wife.
            Working...
            X