I found my first WHOLE arrow head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found my first WHOLE arrow head.

Yesterday was no different from most. The junk seems to self generate. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	170343
    And the bling is almost always not real Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	170344
    This is at least better than the normal twist caps that I dig. Do any of you remember when you needed directions to twist the cap off? Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	170345
    While trying to clean up the first of two different penny patches I came across my favorite find for the day.
    Brass and enamel 1 9/16" in diameter. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	170346
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	170347 When driving home from the bush I made a detour to check on a sports field that was slated for resurfacing.
    Well it is finally happening. Unfortunately I didn't find out sooner. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	170348 I texted 3 other members about it and 2 of them showed up after 5 when the workers had gone home for the evening.
    No real finds from there last night but I did manage 3 silvers. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	170349
    And a bunch more pennies. At least the digging was easy. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	170350
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

And of coarse who can forget your very first post apocalyptic arrow head. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpBGnWIUAM.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	170352
    Bruce

Comment

Cool finds, I especially like the firefighters union thingy.....although I may be slightly biased. Lol
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

cool finds
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yeah.....you got me! Great thread Bruce.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Hey Bruce, Interesting medalion. I like the ancient Roman design.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron I believe that the knight and dragon is a depiction of St. George killing the dragon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George
              But I may be wrong
              Bruce

Comment

The dragon fighters coin is something super cool!
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Looks like it's not just Arrowhead pickers here. I like my metal detection, too. I haven't found anything cool yet, but me and my AT Pro are trying to clean up the area! Less junk than there used to be!!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                    2ndoldman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Willie good on you for cleaning out the junk. Keep at it my friend as I have found quite a few keepers hiding below the trash.
                    How long have yo been using your AT Pro?

I've had it about a year or so. I need to get out more than I do. Other than a couple silvers and a lot of wheat pennies, I haven't found a thing. There should be plenty to look for here in Virginia.

Comment

Hey Flathead why not post up pics of you finds. I would enjoy seeing them.
                    Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce

The fire fighter “medallion” is, I believe, what is known as a “challenge coin”. The claimed history of these things goes something like this:

During the First World War, among the early American volunteers there were young men from wealthy families for whom the prospect of joining a flying squadron was a “glamorous” and patriotic prospect. In one squadron, a wealthy lieutenant had medallions struck in bronze with the squadron insignia and gave them to all of his fellow members. He carried his own in a small leather pouch round his neck.

That particular pilot was shot down behind enemy lines in Europe, captured by the Germans and held in an occupied French town near the front. He escaped during a bombardment of the town and ultimately reached a French-held position where they suspected him to be a spy or saboteur because he had been stripped of his uniform and other means of identification. What saved him from execution was the medallion and its insignia, which delayed things long enough for his identity to be confirmed. Instead of shooting him, they gave him a bottle of wine.

This set up a tradition for members of the squadron to carry their medallions at all times and they would jokingly challenge one another to produce them (often, mischievously, at highly inconvenient moments). When “challenged”, if you couldn’t produce your “coin”, you had to buy your challenging companion a drink. If you could produce it, then he had to buy you a drink. The tradition continued throughout the war and is still proudly practiced by the 48th Intelligence Squadron.

Long after the war, similar traditions sprang up in other sectors of the armed forces and also in organisations such as law enforcement, fire-fighting and such. They each have their own rules for the “challenge” and, where alcohol would be inappropriate, there may be some other forfeit to be paid.

I don’t know how much of the original story (which has many variations) is actually true, but sometimes these kinds of charming legends shouldn’t be too closely scrutinised or demanded to be proven should they?
                      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

You are so right Roger. Legends have developed into their current form by many retellings and their charm deserves to be enjoyed as is. And I do like your version of the story. Thanks.
                        Bruce

Comment

Working...
                        X