The traveling junk man.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The traveling junk man.

Well yesterday was road trip day and it turned onto a community effort as well.
    A friend who I have know ever since moving to the island over 30 years ago asked if we could get together for a hunt.
    He wanted to take his son out to the rivers and streams to hunt for gold with the detector.
    He owns an Ace 250 and has only been out twice before. After talking him into a more reasonable plan we met on Saturday morning and headed out to Sooke.
    The community effort came about in two parts. The night before I called Jon and asked if I could borrow his Bounty Hunter for the boy.
    And when we arrived in Sooke my friends Ace 250 was kaput. Another member, Ivan showed up in the nick of time and also had a spare Bounty Hunter so the hunt was on.
    This is Chuck and his son Nathan. Nathan was suffering the effects of a late night out on the town and it showed in his lack of enthusiasm. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpLKe9N2AM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	172518
    Ivan on the other hand loves to get up close and personal when he is swinging the detector. Click image for larger version

Name:	phptMZnEGAM.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	172519

Did I say that I was the traveling junk man? Always leave the place better than the way you find it is my motto. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpZXM1tlAM.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	172520

Spending time helping out my friend and his son meant my swinging time was reduced. Click image for larger version

Name:	php7IaG9OAM.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	172521
    Click image for larger version

Name:	phpFh3xZ3AM.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	172522
    But I did manage one interesting find. Junk or keeper? I haven't decided yet.
    If you look closely you can see multiple rims. Click image for larger version

Name:	php329TgUAM.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	172523
    Click image for larger version

Name:	phpDMGyeQAM.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	172524
    After prying it partially open and some cleaning up. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpcVuI5sAM.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	172525
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 09-06-2015, 11:31 AM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

This is the result so far. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpb2WUeOAM.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	172527
    Bruce

Comment

That is a nice find, curious as to what it is

Comment

It looks like it might be a double-walled serving dish for something intended to be kept cold on the table, Bruce. Depending on how cold, the air gap between the inner and outer bowl was sometimes enough insulation, and in other cases the gap was filled with crushed ice. Medium-sized ones were often for things like butter and there were small ones for things like caviar (but those were always silver-lined, because anything else spoiled the taste).
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thank you Roger I do believe that you are correct that this would have been a serving bowl. I am still pondering on whether or not to keep it.
          If I can straighten it out somewhat I may use it to store some of the odds and ends that I find. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_149.gif
Views:	80
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	172628
          Bruce

Comment

Hey Bruce, Nice bowl and nice thing you did to encourage the father and son.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
            X