Chioces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chioces.

Have you ever noticed that we make choices every time we take a step.
    Move to the left, move to the right, go faster or slower.
    They are all choices. Some will get you the goodies.
    and some will make you miss them by inches.
    Yesterday I made the choice to hunt in the Gorge again.
    But instead of thinking of the weather as it was, I chose to think that it would get warmer.
    Well I was wrong and there I was in shorts and a T shirt,
    saying that there was no way I was going to get soaked in this cool weather.
    So choice number two I decided to hunt the same beach that I have walked more than a dozen times.
    Ya there was still stuff to find. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpeR5M3VPM.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	172991 This one is tiny. Only the size of a dime. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpPcB8RLPM.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	172992
    Nearing the end of the beach there was one more choice to make.
    There is a downed tree that stretches across it.
    I have detected up to and all around the tree and normally I walk into the water to get to the other side.
    But this time I made the choice to straddle it and step over.
    When I placed the coil on the ground on the other side to steady myself there was a hit.
    Not the best sounding target and it was showing as shallow.
    Two scoops in and it is still down there so one more deeper scoop and. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpff2pPJPM.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	172993 My tenth silver fifty this year. Click image for larger version

Name:	happydance.gif
Views:	120
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	172990 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpxQDu0tPM.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	172994 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpDRIqesPM.jpg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	172995 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpxSut0wPM.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	172996 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpkAPO09PM.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	172997
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

You never cease to amaze me with your finds. Good job. One day your going to be posting about a buried pot of Silver and Gold. When you do just remember that I prophesied it.
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Neat finds, does the gear looking thing at 5:00 position have a hole or even 2, any numbers on it (may indicate amount of teeth) because looks like a pinion. Maybe a 14 tooth lol.
      Also, is that a spanish/mexican coin? I do see canada written, just hard to read on one of them.
      Last edited by JoshinMO; 09-09-2015, 07:48 PM.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh I am sorry but the brass went into the big bucket as soon as the picture was taken.
        If it is important to you I can do a search for it.

French????????? lol

Comment

Hey Bruce, Way to dig the silver half.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Really enjoy seeing your post, nice fifty, getting even closer to the purchase of my own metal detector!

Comment

Did a search trying to figure out the foreign language thing but nothing. Can you fill me in on that please?

Comment

I think it's Latin.......

It is Latin. Rex means King in Latin.

George V, by the grace of God, King and Emperor.
              Last edited by CMD; 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM.
              Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                I think it's Latin.......

It is Latin. Rex means King in Latin.
                Ooooohh.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1d02a3a270f30201c15f8d6de753c9b3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	173065

Comment

I went to Catholic school. As I recall, we were required to learn Latin, dead language or no dead language.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by taxidermist01 View Post
                    You never cease to amaze me with your finds. Good job. One day your going to be posting about a buried pot of Silver and Gold. When you do just remember that I prophesied it.
                    No pot of gold yet my friend but i have found one gold coin this year. A 1901 US $5 that was made into a love token. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpfMpaoEPM.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	173182 Click image for larger version

Name:	php8osmxfPM.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	173183
                    Bruce

Comment

Thanks all of you for the comments. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_123.gif
Views:	213
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	173188

Charlie thank you for stepping up with the Latin translation. Much better than I could do. Google translate just can't do it I'm afraid.
                      Josh if the coil had not been stuck in the saltwater mud this is what it would have looked like. Click image for larger version

Name:	50-cents-1919-canada-g.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	173189
                      Bruce

Comment

Hey Bruce, Some interisting finds. I bet you would rather have the 1901 $5 gold coin in its original condition.
                        Michigan Yooper
                        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Actually no Ron. This makes it a much more personal find. A coin is just a coin but someone really cared about their loved one and had this made for them.
                          Bruce

Comment

British coinage (including that produced for Empire and Commonwealth use) has used Latin inscriptions for centuries. Since Roman times in fact. Even the monarch acquires a Latin equivalent name where it exists: Georgivs (George), Edwardvs (Edward), Carolvs (Charles). There is no Latin equivalent for Elizabeth. It will be interesting to see whether they continue the tradition should Prince Charles ever get to the throne, or if public pressure dictates that “Carolvs III” is outmoded.

The title on Bruce’s coin in full, would read “Dei Gratia Rex et Indiae Imperator” (by the Grace of God, King and Emperor of India). The “Dei Gratia” abbreviation was removed from Canadian coinage in 1911, leading to public uproar and the coins being referred to as “godless”. It was reinstated in 1912. The same thing happened in Britain in 1849 when the first 2 shilling piece was issued without the “Dei Gratia” attribution… referred to as “godless florins” over here. India gained indedendence in 1947, so the abbreviated “Indiae Imperator” title wasn’t used thereafter.

Incidentally, we have a tradition that the monarch’s head faces in alternate left/right directions at each change of monarch. George V faced left and so Edward VIII should have faced right… but vanity about his hair-parting caused him to break the tradition. His planned coinage never circulated in Britain as a result of his abdication and George VI then also faced left to resume the tradition.
                            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                            X