That ugly coin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That ugly coin.

I have received quite a few PMs regarding how I clean my finds.
    So I thought that this ugly piece of silver would be a good example of how I do it.
    I could easily have posted the pic I took when it came out of the ground. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpe9oIX3AM.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	175072 And then posted the clean version after.
    But when I got home this is what it looked like. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpY6NQteAM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	175073 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpGjvrBRAM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	175074 And I hope that you all agree that it is not a pretty sight.
    What I do in cases like this where the coin is stained I put it into my reverse electrolysis system.
    Which consists of a transformer and a DC power supply. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpTiOGv6AM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	175075 And let the coin thoroughly blacken.
    Which normally takes less than 1/2hr. Click image for larger version

Name:	php9I9LOAAM.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	175076 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpXfUuM8AM.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	175077 And then I put it into my tumbler.
    I personally use a Loretone like this one. Click image for larger version

Name:	qt6.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	175078 The mix I use when tumbling is white aquarium gravel and water with a drop of dish soap.
    If I am tumbling silver I add a couple of ounces of vinegar to the mix.
    The vinegar helps to cut through the staining.
    Do not add vinegar to your mix when you are tumbling copper or brass.
    It will not look good when you are done.
    When silver coins or rings have been blackened first the tumbling time is substantially reduced.
    So there is no excessive wear put on the item by the tumbling.
    And since the aquarium gravel is smooth and polished it does not harm the items.
    This is the same coin after 1/2hr in the tumbler. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpUb5Om4AM.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	175079
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	phppDmwUiAM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	175081
    Bruce

Comment

Very informative and I guarantee it will be helpful to a lot of people who read this. I am currently looking for another "Round Tuit" so that I can take up Metal Detecting and if I ever find my "Round Tuit" I hope I can find at least half as much cool stuff as you do. Thanks for the tutorial. You know, that would make a cool YouTube posting.
      \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Thanks for explaining how you make those nice silk purses from sow's ears - always enjoy seeing the end results!
        I was wondering if you do any reverse electroplating to cash in on the less than desirable pieces of jewelry that you may come across?

[YT]cCro6V_RsTo[/YT]

Here's an instructable I ran across about removing crud from larger objects - kinda neat.
        Electrolytic Rust Removal Aka Magic: This is a relatively simple, safe and cheap way to remove light or heavy rust from any ferrous object. I used this process to restore an old wood plane that I bought for $1 (it looked totally un-usable because of the rust). As opposed to grinding, h…

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I prefer to keep my finds real and not try to fake anything. So no I don't electroplate any of my junk finds.

Cool stuff.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Looks like a pretty good setup.

Comment

Very informative Bruce. Thanks
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
              Thanks for explaining how you make those nice silk purses from sow's ears - always enjoy seeing the end results!
              I was wondering if you do any reverse electroplating to cash in on the less than desirable pieces of jewelry that you may come across?

[YT]cCro6V_RsTo[/YT]

Here's an instructable I ran across about removing crud from larger objects - kinda neat.
              Electrolytic Rust Removal Aka Magic: This is a relatively simple, safe and cheap way to remove light or heavy rust from any ferrous object. I used this process to restore an old wood plane that I bought for $1 (it looked totally un-usable because of the rust). As opposed to grinding, h…

That is the exact process that I use. This is one of the cleaning projects that I did.
              This was found at an old silver mining ghost town where the old school house sat. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n175145[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n175146[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n175147[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
              Bruce

Comment

2ndoldman commented
                Yesterday, 12:54 PM
                "I prefer to keep my finds real and not try to fake anything. So no I don't electroplate any of my junk finds."

~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Bruce, I didn't think you were going into the electroplating business , but was wondering if you might be recycling the gold plating on otherwise junk jewelry finds. Do you start your reverse electroplating with plain water? I realize that you're goal on the historic items that you find is just a light cleanup, and that removing gold plating would require a combination of chemicals, but like you say: it's the same basic setup. Interesting stuff: thanks!

http://www.goldinpc.com/reverse-elec...gold-recovery/
                Last edited by Olden; 09-25-2015, 06:39 AM.
                If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

I have never thought about trying to 'recover gold that way. I doubt that I ever will because of the chemicals that are required.
                  Plain water does not conduct electricity very well, I use baking soda and or arm and hammer washing soda as the electrolyte.
                  All of the junk jewelry, if it is in decent condition, gets saved for my spring fun hunt.
                  The fun hunt is when I toss a ton of stuff that I have found the year before into the sand at a nearby ocean beach and invite anyone with a detector to come out and have fun.
                  In the last two years I have raised a little over $700 for the children's petting zoo this way.
                  Bruce

Comment

Working...
                  X