I needed some SWING therapy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I needed some SWING therapy.

The back has improved but my butt was getting blisters from sitting at the computer all day.
    Many of you know that I sent the CTX in for some TLC.
    Well I also sent off the Grey Ghost headphones and pinpoint mod for the Excal as well.
    How you guys handle the winter blues is beyond me because I was going stir crazy sitting around the house.
    I took the stock headphones and re attached them to the Excal and headed out.
    Believe me a fat old man with yellow headphones and a bright yellow coil is not a pretty site.
    But at least the withdrawal shakes have subsided. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpMHxhQrAM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	178944
    The stock headphones do not have the same richness of sound as the Grey Ghost ones.
    So the normal trash was expected. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpxSpodBAM.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	178945
    But give me a break on the pull tabs please. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpMLa3huAM.jpg
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	178946
    The recyclables for the day. Click image for larger version

Name:	php1vfIRTAM.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	178949 And some funky junk.
    The remains of a small pen. Only 2 1/2"over all so likely for a ladies clutch bag. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpko2o9SAM.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	178947 And this was a disappointment.
    10 minutes of digging around a large root to find but surprisingly the matches were in almost usable condition. Click image for larger version

Name:	php4Mx9YXAM.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	178948 OH well onward and upward.
    Gas was covered. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpDrcfuoAM.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	178950 And a child's ring was saved. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpJs6pMEAM.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	178951
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

At first glance I thought that this was a navy button. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpdeOarqAM.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	178953 But the cross hatch design and the back soon dispelled that thought. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpA0ULhHAM.jpg
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	178954 It is older though as this is the first blazer button I have seen with makers marks.
    The only information I have been able to find is that Buttons LTD was producing buttons as early as 1913.
    And B'ham is short for Birmingham. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpeBqRqoAM.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	178955 The highlight of the day was this silver ring.[ Click image for larger version

Name:	phpfDkXzpAM.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	178956 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpf5H4Q8AM.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	178957 Time to hit the dirt again. Gawd is this chair uncomfortable. Click image for larger version

Name:	bye_.gif
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	178958
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Good to see u back at it !!!! God knows I know what it feels like not to be able to get out and fulfill your passion
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

Hey Bruce, I always look forward to seeing your finds and am never disappointed. It's good to see you are out there even if at somewhat of a disadvantage. Some interesting finds there and the flat button reminds me of the old gasoline pumps of the Standard Oil Company. I know that making an interesting post like your many posts is time consuming and I appreciate the time you spend to bring us these posts. THANK YOU BRUCE.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Bruce, there’s nothing about the front or the back which says it’s not a naval button. The lined (not cross-hatched) background for the fouled anchor is one of several standard designs used by the Royal Navy. The practice of manufacturers adding their branding as a back-mark was an increasingly common practice from around the mid-18th century on both military buttons and civilian ones.

Buttons Limited was formed in 1907 by the amalgamation of three large manufacturers (Thomas Carlyle Ltd., Harrison Smith Ltd. and Plant, Green and Manton Ltd) in the interests of becoming more competitive in international trade. Manufacturing of military buttons under the “Buttons Limited” name is recorded from 1909 in both London and Birmingham. From 1947, they also made cap badges and other military insignia. They continued to use the “Buttons Limited” name until at least the 1970’s when the company was acquired by Francis Sumner.

The 1907 merger left them with three manufacturing sites in Birmingham making buttons, buckles and stampings (Portland Street, Warstone Lane and Clissold Street) plus premises in London.

If you remember my pointer about military buttons a while ago then that’s a Tudor crown, which puts the date between 1902-1953 (but not more precisely than that) and the plain banded rim indicates it not to be an officer’s button. One other pointer for you about naval buttons in general is that the Merchant Navy also began using the fouled anchor design in the 19th century and so a crown was added to Royal Navy insignia in 1812 to distinguish it, and that distinction continues today.

Good to hear your back is improving.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for this information Roger now I have some thinking and searching to do.

Looks like you had a good outing. Right back into the swing of things. Pun intended!
          Last edited by Hoss; 10-22-2015, 07:20 PM.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
          X