Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have never worked so hard for so little.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have never worked so hard for so little.

8 hours of swinging the land shark (my Excal) and boy does it like pull tabs.
    Thursdays haul. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpYCthFWAM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	179212 And Fridays frustration. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpcmuKNQAM.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	179213 I say frustration because of the Excal's tendency to give off a sweet soft high tone on deeper targets.
    I was back where I found that 1901 Barber quarter so you just don't pass on those signals.
    But when you dig down 5-6 inches.
    And start to see a silvery shine in the hole.
    This is not what you want to find.
    Another stinking beaver tail pull tab. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpkXqGt8AM.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	179214
    There were no silver coins found and the old coppers were both crusty. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpwjAJtaAM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	179215 Click image for larger version

Name:	php3hDIeRAM.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	179216
    The gas fund suffered as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpm7WMZlAM.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	179217
    This one I would have sworn was going to be another deep pull tab. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpxcDV0SAM.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	179218 I thought it was a small silver ring but was concerned about the lack of tarnish.
    That is until I got it home and cleaned it up.
    18C is 18 K white gold. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpca55HdAM.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	179219
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Nothing wrong with that haul ! I love at ring !
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

What kinda area r u hunting in ??

Crying shame us rock hounds don't have a arrow head detector ..... 😢😢

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I generally do my detecting in public parks and schools.

Hey Bruce, You do have some nice finds there. Now that you have removed the pull tabs can I hunt the area?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal detector 1.gif
Views:	38
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	179249
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Ron , my friend, are welcome to head up this way any time.
        But the best advice is to hunt in front of me and not behind.
        I tend to leave very little in the ground when I am done.
        Last edited by 2ndoldman; 10-25-2015, 01:53 AM.

Bruce,
      That "Beaver Tail Pull Tab" brings back good memories for me. (you know you have lived a simple life when a pull tab brings back good memories but here is my story anyway) There is a time in every parents life when their Son or Daughter will believe everything that their Dad tells them. A time when kids are at there most impressionable state of being. (in this case it was my Son) This time frame is usually far to short and probably is not helped by how Dads like to exploit that time in their child's life all for personal gain. Usually the personal gain comes in the form of a good laugh at their child's gullibility. Well, sadly (he-he-he-he-he) this is one of those stories. My Son was probably about 12 or 14 years old and he still thought his Dad was the coolest, smartest and bravest man on the earth. My Son was/is a regular chip off the old block. He is just like me in many ways. He read an article in Wildlife In North Carolina magazine about making a Wild Turkey Call out of the wing bones from a Wild Turkey. He worked really hard to get him some bones and clean them and finally got it finished and to his dismay, the sound was not like he was thinking or wanting so he thought, "I know" I'll ask dear old Dad. To be sure he will have either made one before or know how to fix the sound problem" His spirits lifted and his little eyes wide open just waiting to hear some amazing wisdom from Superman. (me) he demonstrated his turkey call and explained that the sound just wasn't quite right and he wanted to know if I could help him. Naturally I wanted to help him, I really did but all I could think of was that I had just been presented with the perfect opportunity here. What I saw was my Son was like a 15 lb. Lunker Large Mouth Bass that had just come off the bed laying her eggs and she hadn't eaten since she started preparing her bed a month earlier and I was this shiny, irresistible Rapalla Lure and I was about to land the Bass of a lifetime. I said, "I have never made a Turkey call before but let me think on it a while and I am sure we can figure it out but in the meantime, I think I can remember how to make a Duck Call from an old Drink Can Tab that never fails. If you are interested Son, I'll be glad to show you how it works." Naturally, he bit and the hook was set deep in the side of his lip and he wasn't gettin off either. As serious as I could maintain my composure I told him we needed exactly the right type of Pull Tab. "Son, they don't make drinks with this type pull tab so it is gonna be a challenge to find one that will work. I told him to hop in the truck and we would ride up to the old country store just up the road. I told him if we was gonna find one it would be laying in the gravel parking lot. I told him all the old men that hung around the store and told stories would drink their drinks out under the front porch of the store and we should find one just at the edge where the store clerk would sweep the porch off every day or so. Didn't take long to find one and I played the lesson he was about to learn to a tee. I said, "Son, it has been many years since I made one of these since fancy store bought duck calls have come along but I am sure I can do it. Now you pay close attention Son cause it has to be just right to work" and I commenced to bending the tab piece just so and holding it up and looking at it from every angle and placing the pull ring up to my lips and repeating "Almost got it, just a little more work" and I would bend it just a little more and hold it up again and give it the once over. Then after I couldn't hardly stand the anticipation any more and clearly I could see that if my Sons eyes opened any wider they surely would fall out of his head. My Son was just about as proud as he could be of DAD. So I exclaimed "OK, lets give this thing a try and see what happens, well before I could raise it to my lips and give it a blast, he sweetened the pot just a little better. "Dad, shouldn't we drive on down to the river or at least the swamp so we can be closer to some ducks? No Son, it don't matter, if you get these things bent just right, the sound is like Symphony Hall music that carries on the wind like smoke and any duck within several miles is sure to here it." "Dad, what kind of duck does it call?" Son, if done properly, it will work on any type of duck, even farm ducks." He was completely sold. So once again, slowly and methodically I brought the tab to my lips and adjusted it just so and cleared my throat and took a deep breath and said "Here Duck, Duck, Duck. Here Duck, Duck, Duck. It wasn't long after that that I was known to be just a plain old Dad with no special Super Powers or any other great wisdom. Now, ya'll can all judge me and say what mean and hurtful things you want but we all knew the day would come when I would know less than him and my immortal status would tarnish to normality so I thought I might as well go out with a bang. (true story)
      Last edited by taxidermist01; 10-25-2015, 06:52 AM.
      \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering throughout the whole story how the heck you were going to pull this one off.
        Thank you for the chuckles Bobby.

You are welcome. Sorry for tagging on to your posting but your pull tab comment made me think of it again.

Comment

I laughed my guts out ! That's awesome , and can't wait to use that one on my wife or boys first time I get a chance !!! Thanks for the laugh ... We r high jacking ..... So sorry....

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

Hijack away boys and girls. Having fun is what it is all about.
          Last edited by 2ndoldman; 10-26-2015, 10:19 PM.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by G10+ View Post
            I laughed my guts out ! That's awesome , and can't wait to use that one on my wife or boys first time I get a chance !!! Thanks for the laugh ... We r high jacking ..... So sorry....
            G10+ you really have to sell it to pull that joke off. Let me know how it goes when you do.

Comment

Working...
            X