Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going for the gold never looked so ugly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going for the gold never looked so ugly.

This week has been the pits.
    The Excal is a great detector.
    But it was not designed for hunting trashy parks.
    I can say however that there are far fewer pull tabs to ignore when the CTX gets back.
    And if I dig many more beaver tail tabs I will start chewing wood.
    Mondays results. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpdx7se1PM.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	180600
    Took Tuesday off and this is from Wednesday and Thursday. Click image for larger version

Name:	phprC9pdjPM.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	180601 And the recyclables. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpnGEE9mPM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	180602 And then there is Friday. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpjvGTgMPM.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	180603 Friday was also old bullet day. Click image for larger version

Name:	php6pkNRlPM.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	180604 Click image for larger version

Name:	php5ekZMYPM.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	180605
    Junk jewelry can be found just about anywhere. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpSHdqlaPM.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	180606 But sometimes lake Friday it is not always junk. Like this old cut glass broach. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpypo9r4PM.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	180607
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

These look like junk. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpoprevXPM.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	180609 Until you take a closer look. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpILQ5ByPM.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	180610
    It is a collar tie from 1882. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpzg8IdHPM.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	180611 I managed a few other head scratchers on Friday.
    First whatsit. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpiR3GcGPM.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	180612 And the second. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpIzTIeQPM.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	180613 Click image for larger version

Name:	php9i31ZhPM.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	180614 Quite likely riveted to leather, but for a horse bridal? Click image for larger version

Name:	php7INAHVPM.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	180615 How about this? Click image for larger version

Name:	phpMH0tOhPM.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	180616
    Bruce

Comment

One regular and one fouled anchor. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpJwqZ9WPM.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	180618 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpg8OM1nPM.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	180619 I guess that it was not all bad.
      I did manage one copper in not bad shape. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpmNLwibPM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	180620 And two silvers. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpUveoCAPM.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	180621 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpSr1GZDPM.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	180622
      Bruce

Comment

You amaze me Your province owes you a debt of gratitude for all the crap you pick up off the ground.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I will say your coin engravers are quite artistic! I received a catalog from the Canadian Mint & they have some gorgeous coins trimmed with semi-precious gemstones. Very nice!
          Child of the tides

Comment

U know Bruce I was thinking of u the other night, I was watching something on old theme parks that have bean shut down for years ... That would even be worth traveling for if u could get around those lol.... There is one just over the mountain from me that shut down some years back , but u can still see the rides when u go by it ... It was called " dog patch " .... Awesome haul , thanks for showing
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by G10+ View Post
              U know Bruce I was thinking of u the other night, I was watching something on old theme parks that have bean shut down for years ... That would even be worth traveling for if u could get around those lol.... There is one just over the mountain from me that shut down some years back , but u can still see the rides when u go by it ... It was called " dog patch " .... Awesome haul , thanks for showing
              Get yourself an inexpensive detector and go ask for permission. I would love having some company posting here.
              Bruce

Comment

• Claycald
                Claycald commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a detector....just never know where to take it......where do you hunt and have the most success? I might just start since all my sights for artifacts are flooded!

Awesome as usual......looks like my artifact hunting......you know how much chips and flakes and brokes I pick up and throw before I find a whole point.....ok I keep the brokes....but still it's hundreds or thousands I'm sure. I have one site that is so riddled with flakes and chippings it's like looking for a needle in a haystack! Still fun to just get out right?

Comment

Originally posted by Claycald View Post
                Awesome as usual......looks like my artifact hunting......you know how much chips and flakes and brokes I pick up and throw before I find a whole point.....ok I keep the brokes....but still it's hundreds or thousands I'm sure. I have one site that is so riddled with flakes and chippings it's like looking for a needle in a haystack! Still fun to just get out right?
                Totally right there. Being outside and active is the real blessing. The finds/keepers are a bonus.
                Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Claycald View Post
                  Sounds like u may need to break ground there if u can , and make a hole 😎😎

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

Clay all of my detecting is done in public places. Parks and school grounds primarily.
                    Basically any place where people go they can and do lose things.
                    What detector do you have?
                    Bruce

Comment

Anything still recognisable on the other side of the first "whatsit" Bruce???

I think I can see what's left of a double-headed eagle and perhaps what looks like 1/4 H below it may actually be 1/4 K (with the K in Cyrillic script). If so, it's perhaps a Russian quarter kopek coin or token of some kind.
                      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post

Get yourself an inexpensive detector and go ask for permission. I would love having some company posting here.
                        You know I would do that and would have a blast !! The only thing that stops me is knowing while I was swinging that thing I could be DIGGIN , lol!! 😎😎😎

Everett Williams ,
                        NW Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
                          Anything still recognisable on the other side of the first "whatsit" Bruce???

I think I can see what's left of a double-headed eagle and perhaps what looks like 1/4 H below it may actually be 1/4 K (with the K in Cyrillic script). If so, it's perhaps a Russian quarter kopek coin or token of some kind.
                          There is nothing recognizable on the other side Roger. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpmi15TGAM.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	180891 The coin that it most closely represents that I have seen so far is this. Click image for larger version

Name:	g419.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	180892 But the 1/4 is not the same and it is less than half the size.
                          Bruce

Comment

You find the most interesting things Bruce.

I kicked myself for not thinking of other eastern European states using the double-headed eagle, and for not recognising the rest of the legend. You’re on the right track that it’s similar to Hungarian quarter Florins… in fact the issues during the early reign of Franz-Josef I, who took the throne in 1848. It most closely resembles this one, from 1859:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter Florin.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	180901

However, you will note some stylistic differences in the lettering and its spacing, as well as the actual design on your example. It’s a lot cruder. Also, these coins were issued in silver. Yours is not an authentic coin and it’s not from Hungary. It’s an imitation, probably made by the firm of Lauer in Nuremberg in Germany in the mid to late 19th century. These imitations were believed to have been made as gaming tokens for use by card players and also exist as buttons… although it’s not clear if they were made as such or if the tokens were converted to buttons at a later date. The tokens are slightly smaller than the original coins (usually about 26mm), made from aluminium and other white-metal base metal alloys and have the reverse design of the coin on which they were based on both sides. The buttons are usually uniface, but may not have originally been made so. For some reason, they all have the date 1859, although the coin itself was issued in other years too. There are numerous minor variations, but this is a typical example:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter Florin Token.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	180902

Last edited by painshill; 11-08-2015, 06:14 AM. Reason: Correction from "Austria" to "Hungary" in 2nd para
                            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                              2ndoldman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              By Jove I think you've got it.
                              Thank you Roger I do appreciate your research.
                          Working...
                          X