A frame of metal arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A frame of metal arrowheads

Here is a frame of metal arrowheads I have detected over the years. The chain links that surround them are part of a chain maile of a Spanish bridle for there horses. These and the arrowheads come from campsites in north central Colorado and are from Circa 1820's to 1830's. I have shown this frame before so a lot of members have already have seen it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1228 (1).JPG
Views:	166
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	187680
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Those are nice never seen one of those around here, great finds.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Hey Chase, That is certainly an awesome display. More rare than most of our NA artifacts.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

He had them made at a local fab shop !!! Hahahaha !!!!
        Nice nice frame my friend
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

Very cool. I've never came across any in person.

Comment

Interesting seeing something that doesn't show up in my area. Wicked looking points!
            Child of the tides

Comment

i love that case
              that one in the middle is incredible

thanks for sharing

Comment

Cool historic frame Chase. Do you know if any of the pieces were 'made for trade' types, or if they were fashioned from recycled bits of metal such as barrel hoops and such. Any brass points? I guess unless they had files there would be evidence of sharpening stones around the sites as well.
                If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
                  Cool historic frame Chase. Do you know if any of the pieces were 'made for trade' types, or if they were fashioned from recycled bits of metal such as barrel hoops and such. Any brass points? I guess unless they had files there would be evidence of sharpening stones around the sites as well.
                  Olden, in this frame there is a mix of both Trade and Indian made points. That will be a frame that I will crack open to rework. Yes they did have metal files, but I would also say where these were found the sandstone is of a grain that would also work well for sharpening. The most common tool found is metal knives. So show use where the beat them with a hammer stone, to get shape. Also a few axes. Most all of these points can be identified as to which were trade and NA made.

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
                    Olden, in this frame there is a mix of both Trade and Indian made points. That will be a frame that I will crack open to rework. Yes they did have metal files, but I would also say where these were found the sandstone is of a grain that would also work well for sharpening. The most common tool found is metal knives. They show use wear on the back where they beat them with a hammer stone, to get shape. Also a few axes. Most all of these points can be identified as to which were trade and NA made by the base. Some NA points are tempered but most all Trade points are
                    Last edited by chase; 12-21-2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Chase you are SOOOO lucky to be in an area where constant rain does not destroy those beautiful bits of history.
                      Thank you for sharing my friend
                      PS can you identify which ones of these are not a trade points? Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5872.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	187858
                      Attached Files
                      Bruce
                      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Very interesting frame! Not the kind of arrowhead I'm use to seeing...Takes my mind straight into a John Wayne movie, just can't help it. Some very fascinating history out there! Thanks for sharing em' !
                        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
                        X