There's a Prize Inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a Prize Inside!

Well, I planned on making a post on the entire metal detecting trip to an old abandoned church that I've been investigating over the past several weeks, but this find might deserve its own post. After gridding the area for a couple of hours and digging every signal (that wasn't obviously one of a billion nails), I hit on something that was reading like a junky piece of foil or maybe a bit of tin. I dug it up and found it was some kind of brass case (I thought at first it was a lighter case, but it is very narrow).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	case back.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	197082 Click image for larger version

Name:	case front.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	197083
    It was falling apart and was crushed, but it had a design on it... so as I was cleaning it off enough to see the design, I pulled out the dirt and roots from inside and something fell out!

Name:	case with coin.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	197084
    Usually when I find old pennies, they are crusty and really beat... this one is quite nice, as it was apparently well protected. Although not particularly valuable, it was very exciting to discover it in this manner. Here's some close-ups.

Name:	Indian Head Obverse.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	197085 Click image for larger version

Name:	Indian Head Reverse.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	197086
    I'll do a post of the whole area once I get myself organizized.

Really nice must have been lost not long after it went into circulation.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Yep that has some crisp lines, i like the color.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I like the bird dog!

Comment

WOW that IH penny is in beautiful condition. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1655.gif
Views:	107
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	197133
          I would only use a dry toothbrush to remove the rest of the dirt.
          That will make a very nice size comparison piece whenever you post points too.
          I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the finds that you have made.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Driftwood
            Driftwood commented
            Editing a comment
            Bruce, I cleaned it further with a dry toothbrush and a toothpick. It's currently as clean as I want to make it. I just finished photos of all the other items from this site and will post them soon. The weather has turned very cold and windy and the ground will freeze overnight and for the next few days... but then very warm over/after the weekend, so a little pause in hunting for now.

Nice to have hidden treasure
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
          X