Just one more penny signal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just one more penny signal.

Over the last two days that is what I have been telling myself near the end of each hunt.
    It has been wet and windy here and not pleasant at all lately.
    Monday was the better of the two days keeper wise but Tuesday paid for the gas. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1839.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	197104 The "cash coin" at the bottom is my first fake one. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1832.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	197105 Monday's first keeper was another IH penny.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1813.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	197106 Not to bad condition on this one. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1827.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	197107 But the second old penny is toast. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1829.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	197108 This nice surprise came not more than 4' from where I found those two silver rings in the same hole last year. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1815.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	197109 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1818.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	197110 And this unassuming lump was the last penny signal for Monday. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1816.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	197111
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

There is nothing really special about it other than it is my first birthstone ring and fairly old at that. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1825.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	197113 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1822.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	197114 Tuesday was wet and wild here.
    I didn't even leave the house till well past 1:30 and then ended up sitting in the car for half an hour while it came down in buckets. Both of the finds of note are a let down from Tuesday.
    I thought at first this would be old but as soon as I wiped the dirt off I knew it was not. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1842.jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	197115 And although this looks good and has the right weight to it I doubt that it is silver. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1845.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	197116 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1849.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	197117 As so often happens the oldest thing I find is junk.
    The oil lamp piece has two dates on it. 1875 and 1880. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1848.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	197118 The strangest thing from yesterday had to be the bright lime green helmet.
    It was far to easy to spot stuck up in the bushes.
    And yes that is another portable kitchen appliance. Otherwise known as a herb grinder. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1835.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	197119
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Looks like some successful hunts to me. You sure do a good job describing and laying out your finds, makes for fun reading. The ring and car are my pick of the finds. Always look forward to seeing your posts.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I try to make my posts interesting to read. I feel that it works much better than just a couple of pictures with no story behind them.

Dang ND! WOW and WOW! would you just stop and let other metal detector enthusiasts catch up. Nah just keep posting my friend and Clean it up! Thanks your a good, and in Colorado will say Dubie!
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Chase. I have no plans on stopping. I'm not greedy I just want it all.

Some more nice coins and interesting stuff.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you.

Hi Bruce

If those first two characters on the chain are a pair of eights, then it is “silver”, but to a Russian standard known as “zolotnik” which derives from a weight system originally used for gold coins.

“84” zolotnik has 875 parts of silver per 1,000

“88” zolotnik has 916.6 parts of silver per 1,000

“91” zolotnik has 947.9 parts of silver per 1,000

The letters “BY” will then be the silversmith's “touch mark”, representing the christian name and surname of the maker. Usually, those initials would be in the Russian cyrillic alphabet, but when the Latin alphabet is used it’s an indication of a relatively “modern” piece, usually made for export to the west.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Roger you do have the tendency to make me think about things. I had to recheck that stamp. It depends on what angle you look at it. The "SS" does indeed change to a "88" at certain angles. As always Roger thank you for your sage wisdom.
    Working...
    X