Mystery Household item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Household item

This thing is I think Roman and part of a lamp or something similar ?

The ends are both hollow and one you can see is filled with rusting ferrous metal (iron). So it is a bronze fitting that went on to an iron object.
    There is nothing to indicate the iron was fitted both sides; although it could have done and all traces of the iron in the 'clean' side have long since gone. However, there is no iron staining on that side.

The object has incised decoration lines, but is otherwise quite plain

Ideas ?

Sunny I would love to be able to help with identifying that for you. If Roger is not able to pull another magic rabbit out of his hat you can try contacting Chris at Colchester Treasure hunting & Metal detecting.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

My guess would be that it's an incensario (for burning incense), although I haven't seen one quite as symmetrical as that before (ie with a "foot" that's the same size as the "bowl"). I couldn't say whether or not it's Roman. If that's what it is, they usually have a removable domed pierced cover over the bowl and sometimes a small fitment inside it that confines the incense more precisely. Perhaps that's what the iron thingy was.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

It did occur to me after posting the thread that it could be an egg cup. The one side being weighted. But I have not been able to find anything similar in Google images

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
          Sunny I would love to be able to help with identifying that for you. If Roger is not able to pull another magic rabbit out of his hat you can try contacting Chris at Colchester Treasure hunting & Metal detecting.
          Thanks for the point of contact 2ndoldman I will try Chris

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            You are welcome Sunny.
        Working...
        X