Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another nice Roman Brooch

This one is in great condition and is the biggest bow brooch I have found

Just blows me away, you folks get to find Roman as well as so many other types and eras of artifacts.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Sunny
      Sunny commented
      Editing a comment
      The benefits of being invaded and occupied by so many different cultures :0)

However, we gave up being invaded after the Normans moved in and after a thousand years of laying out the 'welcome mat' we set off to start invading everywhere else !

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, and Britain did a dandy job of it. Otherwise, I would not be where I am----in the USA. Most all my ancestors migrated here from either England or Ireland before our Revolutionary War. What few Germans that are in my ancestry also came to America before that war. And another plus is that the British legal system is the forerunner of most all the great democratic systems of the world. Of all the colonial powers, England left a lasting positive influence, quite unlike that left by Spain, Portugal, France or the Netherlands.

As you say Sunny your country has laid out the welcome mat for centuries. That is an interesting looking fibula. Have you ever found any Viking items?
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
      As you say Sunny your country has laid out the welcome mat for centuries. That is an interesting looking fibula. Have you ever found any Viking items?
      Sadly none. It is a quirk of the wars that took place that this was the corner of England that was not conquered by the Vikings. Wessex stood as the last part of England against the Viking onslaught and colonisation. Winchester (the capital of Wessex) is roughly 20 miles from me and was only temporarily occupied by the Danes.

We do get a few contemporary finds from that period - Saxon - but they are very rare. I have a handful of Saxon coins and a few clothing tags..... a few sparse objects from the 'Dark Ages' in this islands history.

Comment

Working...
      X