Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost & Found

I was rummaging; as you do

I have a cabinet full of lithics and there in the back corner was a small plastic self-seal bag with some coins in. I had been looking at the axes and blades, sorting out space for new finds when I spotted the bag, which clearly contained an assortment of Roman bronze coins. The bag is clearly the contents of a previous detecting trip that I simply had not got around to sorting out. Now I have not detected since the mid 90s, so this collection had been put aside to sort out and lost in the cabinet.

The coins are mostly faceless Roman small-change, with bronze disease as happens to the bulk of the 2000 year old coins that we get here; damaged by verdigris and exposure to the chemicals in farming fertilisers and crop strays. Maybe 1-in-10 has a face.

In the bag was two duponsius sized coins with heads visible; they survive better as they are brass rather than bronze. But the real prize was a hammered silver medieval coin. Not the best I had ever found, but I really did (do) like my hammered-silver. So it has now gone into the coin album; to be identified properly when I have time....as anyone who has pent time dedicated to identifying kings, mints and moneyers will know

The group picture is a selection from the bag, which held around 30 coins.

Sometimes you can't beat getting to find artifacts all over again!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I thought I was having a great day when I found a dollar in the dryer! That silver is sweet!

Comment

Working...
      X