Viking MD Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viking MD Finds

Since you asked, Bruce… here’s a few out of my collection, although they aren’t personal finds. But first, a little history.

Who Were the Vikings?

There are several plausible origins for the word “Viking” but, in England, the term was synonymous with “pirate” and first appears in the Anglo-Saxon poem “Widsmith” as “wiking” around the 9th Century and later as “vikingr”. Neither term refers to any particular people or culture and was used generally to describe the tribes of (principally) Denmark, Norway and Sweden who conducted raids on British settlements from the 8th Century onwards.

In Germany, they were known as the “Ascomanni” (literally “ashmen”, derived from their use of ashwood boats); in Ireland as the “Lochlannach”; in England as the “Dene”; further east as the “Rus’” or “Rhōs” (a term related to “rowing”) and also as the “Varangians” (meaning “sworn men”).

Viking expansion into continental Europe from their heartlands in Scandinavia was limited by the military strength of the cultures to the south (principally the Saxons), but they established dominance of the Baltic region to the east and into northwestern Asia. Although the “Viking Age” is generally regarded in Britain as the period from the late 8th Century to the Norman conquest culminating in the “Battle of Hastings” in 1066, the term Varangian remained in use in the Byzantine Empire until the 13th century. Those later settlements were still “Viking” culture but by then were largely disconnected from their Scandinavian roots.

The Viking Raiders

From the late 8th Century onwards, Britain experienced a number of pillaging raids by the Vikings, starting on the NE coast (although the first raid may have been at Portland in the south), spreading south to East Anglia and the southern coast and west to the Irish Sea, largely targeting centres of wealth such as monasteries. The raids were terrifying, but small, and the raiders didn’t stay around until AD 850 when they over-wintered in Britain for the first time. Not all contacts were aggressive and the Vikings also visited various areas for trading purposes.

There was then a change in tactics, with a focus on expansion and conquest. The driver for the expansion is unclear, but it may have been motivated by a combination of the Saxons to the south flexing their muscles, retaliation in response to the encroachment on Viking tribal lands by Christian missionaries, trade inequities and shortage of viable farmland. Also, the Franks (Germanic tribes occupying northern France, Belgium and the southern Netherlands) had been fortifying their towns and moving their religious communities further inland. The Vikings found it increasingly difficult to reap the rich pickings they were accustomed to, and switched their attention to England.

The Viking Invasion of England

In AD 865 the “Great Heathen Army” led by the brothers “Ivar the Boneless”, “Halfdan” and “Ubba”, together with “Guthrum”, arrived in East Anglia with the intent of conquering the four Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of England in a campaign that was to last for 14 years. The size of the army is uncertain, but most modern estimates put the numbers somewhere between a thousand and the low thousands. They relied to a large extent on ruthless marauding “hit and run” tactics rather than numerical superiority in open battle.

The army was a coalition of independent bands of Norse warriors under a unified command known as “liðs” who came largely from Denmark, to a lesser extent from Norway, but probably also from Sweden and perhaps from some non-Scandinavian origins. Viking leaders would often join forces with others for mutual benefit and then dissolve the partnership once they had achieved their objective. The Anglo-Saxon historian Æthelweard was very specific in his chronicle that “the fleets of the viking tyrant Hingwar landed in England from the north” which suggests that the initial invasion came in more than a single wave.

Not everyone chose to resist. The king of East Anglia negotiated for peace in return for supplying the Vikings with horses and provisions. In some areas, they settled peaceably as farmers or craftsmen and established trading centres.

The army then penetrated deep into Mercia where it met with fierce opposition from joint forces of the kingdoms of Mercia and Wessex. Unable to repel the invasion, the king of Mercia agreed peace terms with the Vikings who then partially withdrew. The Vikings then returned to East Anglia, conquered it and killed the king. They then moved on to the kingdom of Wessex where King Alfred (“Alfred the Great”) “bought them off”. They left, and ultimately returned to Mercia, this time conquering it. They also took Northumbria and installed the Englishman “Ecgberht”, as a puppet king. Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Heathen Army.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	200196

[Routes taken by the Great Heathen Army from 865 to 878, based on “England and Wales at the time of the Treaty of Chippenham (AD 878)” from “The Atlas of European History: Earle W Dowe, pub. G Bell & Sons, London 1910. Graphic by “Hel-hama” – Creative Commons License.]

Around AD 870, the Great Heathen Army was reinforced by the arrival of the “Great Summer Army” led by “Bagsecg” and his “Five Earls.” Towards the end of AD 875 the combined armies commenced the second invasion of Wessex with Alfred defeating them between 6th and 12th May AD 878 at the “Battle of Ethandun” (near Edington, Wiltshire), pushing them back from his borders. The post-battle treaty left the Vikings in control of much of northern and eastern England but Alfred had pushed them back far enough to re-take Jorvik (modern York), although “Erik Bloodaxe” took it back again when another wave of Vikings appeared in AD 947. Click image for larger version

Name:	Viking England.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	200197

[Viking rule (Danelaw) in England AD 878, based on Stenton’s “Anglo-Saxon England” chapter 8 and Hill’s “An Atlas of Anglo-Saxon England” p40-1. Graphic by “Hel-hama” – Creative Commons License.]

The End of the Viking Period in England

In AD 1003 the Danish king “Sweyn Forkbeard” commenced a further series of raids against England, culminating in a full-scale invasion that led to him being crowned King of England in AD 1013. The throne of England passed to “Edmund Ironside” (Edmund II) of Wessex after Sweyn's death in 1014 and was then taken in battle by Sweyn’s son “Cnut the Great” (Canute) in AD 1016, ultimately establishing him as King of Denmark, England, Norway, and parts of Sweden. Cnut died in 1035 and the throne of England passed to “Harold Harefoot” (Harold I), bringing an end to the Viking rule of England before it was taken by “William the Conqueror” (William I) some thirty years later. William was Duke of Normandy in NE France and was himself a descendant of Viking raiders. Viking raids on Britain continued to at least AD 1152 when “Eystein II” of Norway led a series of plundering raids down the east coast.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Enough history… you want to see them artefacts don’t you? This one is among my favourite pieces of all the artefacts I own. It’s a fairly rare “whaletail” pendant cast in bronze from the vicinity of Lake Ladoga in NW Russia and was my retirement gift to myself last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0330a.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	200188

Name:	DSC_0331a.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	200189

Ancient Norse sagas and Hanseatic treaties mention a “city made of lakes” in that region, variously referred to as Alode-joki in Finnish, Aldeigja in Norse, Aldoga or Aldeigjuborg and Ladoga in Old East Slavic. According to the Hypatian Codex, the legendary Varangian leader “Rurik” arrived at Ladoga in 862, making it his capital (dendrochronology suggests it was founded in AD 753) and it remained one of the most important Viking trading centres of Eastern Europe until AD 950 and as a trading outpost for the Novgorod Republic until the 13th Century. The city was multi-ethnic (the original inhabitants were Norsemen, Finns, and Slavs) but it was dominated by Scandinavians who were called by the name of “Rus'”.

It’s in great condition and has a robust loop, so I do actually wear it (on a leather thong). Originally, it would have been gilded and if you look closely, it still has some of its original gold-coating in the decoration at the bottom.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

This one’s from a Viking settlement in Yorkshire in England. A bronze penannular brooch/cloak fastener dating from around the 10th Century.

Name:	DSC_0334a.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	200191

Name:	DSC_0335a.JPG
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	200192

Comment

This one’s silver, from a site in Norway and dates to the 7th – 8th Century.

Name:	DSC_0332a.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	200194 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0333a.JPG
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	200195

I’ve seen these referred to as “four moons” pendants and even as “representing the wounds of Christ.” I’m not convinced by those attributions and certainly this is from before the period of Christian influence on Viking pagan beliefs. I would just call it a Viking “openwork” pendant.

Comment

This is Viking period “hacksilver” from Denmark and dating between the 8th to 10th Centuries.

Name:	DSC_0336a.JPG
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	200199

Name:	DSC_0337a.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	200200

It was common among Vikings for unwanted or broken silver decorative items and foreign coins to be cut up into smaller pieces that were treated as bullion and used for exchange according to their weight. Hacksilver pieces often turn up in small groups that were once contained in a leather pouch that has rotted away and also in larger caches together with coins.

This was done for convenience when small payments were needed and before melting down silver for re-use. It was also a way of dividing up the spoils from raids and – for larger items – such as church-plate and reliquaries, a way of making the loot more portable.

Russia’s unit of currency today - the “ruble” – is said to derive its name from the Russian verb meaning “to chop”, from the practice of the Rus’ described by Ahmad ibn Fadlan visiting the Volga Vikings in AD 922.

I have a few more Viking items, if I can remember where I put them. Watch this space.

Comment

Roger, very impressive! I really enjoyed you showing. and that is just the half of it with all the information.
            Thank You!
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Very, very interesting. I did a quick read. I will go back later and read more thoroughly and try to digest as much as I can. Roger, thank you so much for showing your artifacts and giving the historical background.

Comment

Man, I can't believe you wear that pendant... I'd be so afraid of losing it! Lovely items.

Comment

Thank you very much Roger. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the history you included. The whale tail pendant is fabulous and I too would wear it with pride.
                  Did you acquire the collection of "hack silver" one at a time? Or was it part of a "horde" that you got as a package deal?
                  I look forward to seeing your updates as you find them.
                  Bruce
                  In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Thanks Bruce. I understood the hacksilver to have been found as a group of pieces. Apart from obvious cutmarks on pieces, it's the usual way of distinguishing hacksilver from lost jewellery oddments.

Here's a few more items...

A bronze Viking bracelet of Swedish origin, but found in Latvia and dating to round AD 800:

Name:	DSC_0338a.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	200465

Name:	DSC_0340a.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	200466

It’s too small to be an adult “war bracelet” type and was likely made for a young girl or a child. There’s some nice decoration beneath the verdigris. A visit to your reverse electrolysis tank would probably bring it up nicely.

This one’s a bronze amulet pendant from Norway, dating to around AD 1,000:

Name:	DSC_0343a.JPG
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	200467

Name:	DSC_0344a.JPG
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	200468

It originally would have had gold inlay in the four cavities and there are still some traces of that remaining.

Another Viking “openwork” pendant in bronze from between the 9th to 12th Centuries. It’s a “lunula” and would have been worn by a woman for good luck and protection. The design is a relatively rare crescent moon combined with a cross, which is a combination of pagan and Christian symbolism, so it’s more likely from the middle to later part of that timeframe.

Name:	DSC_0341a.JPG
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	200469

Name:	DSC_0342a.JPG
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	200470

Christian beliefs progressively crept into Scandinavia from the 8th to 12th Centuries but with different dates for Denmark, Norway and Sweden and with different rates of adoption/devotion. Religious affinities were generally determined for people by their leaders or rulers and initial attempts to impose or enforce Christianity as the religion were highly unpopular. It took a while for Christianity to get established in most places and there were several pagan revivals and resurgences in various places during that period.

Comment

I know that it is verboten Roger but I would be sorely tempted to try cleaning that broach.
                      Are those runes in the first pic?
                      Bruce
                      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Hi Bruce. There are (sadly) no runic characters as far as I can tell. Just scroll-work and other abstract designs typical of the Norse cultures.

Here’s a couple more from my collection. This one is an iron Viking knife which comes from the Ladoga trading centre in Russia (mentioned above) and dates to between the 10th and 11th Centuries. It’s from an old museum collection and is a “utility knife”, being too small for a “battle knife”, although it would have been used for brawling (including by women) as well as whittling, eating etc. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0348a.JPG
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	200511

Name:	DSC_0349a.JPG
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	200512

The Old English term “seax” for knife comes from the Viking word meaning “to cut”, but in Norse cultures it specifically refers to scissors. They qualified the term further as “scramaseax” or “scramsax”, meaning “wounding knife”.

Finally, something non-metal. These are wooden gaming pieces which were anaerobically preserved in peat deposits in Norway, dating to around AD 1150. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0345a.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	200513

Name:	DSC_0347a.JPG
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	200514

They were likely used for one of the many “tafl” games played principally by Viking males from children to adults, and most usually known as “hnefatafl” or “board game of the fist.” Tafl means “board” or “table” in Old Norse and these were games of military-type tactics played on a chequered board (13 x 13 or 11 x 11) between two “armies” of unequal number.

We aren’t sure if they also used dice for these games (as in the later “kvatrutafl”, the forerunner of backgammon) or moved the pieces according to an unrecorded set of rules similar to draughts (you would say checkers) or chess. There were lots of variations, but all such games had a distinctive 2:1 ratio of pieces, with the smaller army having a “king-piece” known as the “hnefi” (fist) that started in the centre of the board, protected by its army. The king's objective was to escape to the edges or corners of the board, while the larger army's objective was to capture him. The attacking force had a natural advantage at the start of each game, probably intended to mirror Viking raiding tactics in real life.

Although we no longer know the rules for these games, they spawned later variations in places that had Viking influence which give us some insight. There is a manuscript from 1587 which documents a game known as “tawlbwrdd” in Wales, together with a drawing. It shows an 11 x 11 board with 12 pieces on the king’s side and 24 pieces for the attackers. The manuscript documents that:

“The above tawlbwrdd should be played with a king in the centre and twelve men in the places next to him, and twenty-four men seek to capture him. These are placed, six in the centre of each side of the board and in the six central positions. And two move the men in the game, and if one [piece] belonging to the king comes between the attackers, he is dead and is thrown out of the game, and the same if one of the attackers comes between two of the king’s men in the same manner. And if the king himself comes between two of the attackers, and if you say ‘Watch your king’ before he moves to that space, and he is unable to escape, you capture him. If the other says ‘I am your liegeman’ and goes between two, there is no harm. If the king can go along the [illegible] line, that side wins the game.”

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                          2ndoldman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is an interesting description of how the game was played Roger.
                          Last edited by 2ndoldman; 03-30-2016, 02:39 PM.
                      Working...
                      X