more rusted money for the weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more rusted money for the weekend.

i went to another old school yard that is still used today for local events. found another hand full of rusty money and a full bag of garbage. i'm up to $6.45 in change, 40 pennys(3 wheat's)21dimes,15quarters,3nickles. still no silver, i'm going to hit the grove out in front of the gym where there are some huge oak trees, my mom said the big kids hung out there to smoke and talk before school.

Take you time working around those trees. If the digging is easy don't be afraid to dig up a lot of surface junk.
    I find enough keepers hiding below that first layer of crap to sometimes make it very worth while doing.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• toccopola
      toccopola commented
      Editing a comment
      the mx sport is dead on when it says pull tabs, and the foil signal that has nickel added in with it has turned up the square pop tags every time. the test i done with 4 different gold rings buried 3 inches deep gives a foil signal with no nickel. the coin signals are real close to being right but aluminum cans will sometimes show a quarter signal. you know the signals that are spread out 6 inches or so is going to be some kind of can or something but from what i have learned so far is dig everything.

Also, if you are using a concentric coil, I have learned that you cannot go slow enough... the better you overlap your swings, the more you'll find. Good luck!!

Comment

This rang up as a pop can and was only 2 inches deep. It is only gold filled but I like it. Click image for larger version

Name:	phparsAeuPM.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	206852 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpnhohiiPM.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	206853 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpoxebUOPM.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	206854 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpTWyuliAM.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	206855 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpuuCmMGPM.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	206856From what I can gather about it the date is somewhere around 1885 for it. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpV428O4PM.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	206857 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpSDI8RYAM.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	206858 Click image for larger version

Name:	phpYsNDNfPM.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	206859 So now you know why I did aluminum cans.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Hi Bruce

The pocket watch case has an interesting history. It’s by the American Watch Case Company of Toronto, although the movement wasn’t made by them. Pocket watch cases were usually made in standard sizes and assembled into watches by retail jewellers using separately-purchased movements (or even purchased separately by the customer). Although originally established in 1885 and mostly using the name “Quigley” for watch cases, they stole their new name in 1893 from an American company established in 1850, then trading as the American Watch Case Company of New York, with manufacturing facilities in Waltham, Massachusetts. The Canadian company didn’t set up its first factory in Toronto until 1895. In addition to carrying the style brand-name “Cashier” your case also has the “winged wheel” trademark which belonged to the Philadelphia Watch Case Co. (a subsidiary of the Keystone company). Since Keystone acquired a 42% shareholding in the Canadian AWCCo. in 1903, I think we can conclude the case must be 1903 or later. The company fell into decline during the depression and was merged out in 1939 or thereabouts.

The Canadian company imitated — in everything but quality — the cases manufactured by the unrelated American company (who had a long-standing reputation for high quality solid gold cases). The American company marked its cases “AWCCo.” followed by “Waltham” and the Canadian company also marked theirs “AWCCo.” but without any reference to “Toronto”… a ploy intended to deceive purchasers into thinking they were buying a high quality American case.

They were exploiting a time when Canada was in “trade protectionism” mode, imposing punitive tariffs on imported items (35% on watch cases) such that AWCCo. in Canada were able to substantially undercut the price for imported American cases. But they went further. As well as being of lower quality by design, most of their cases were fake in other ways… they weren’t what they claimed to be with respect to precious metal content.

Mr. Doll, owner of the American company, openly accused Mr. McNaught of the Canadian company of fraud, prompting McNaught to sue for slander in 1893, claiming $5,000 damages. Doll successfully fought that off and McNaught failed to get an injunction to stop Doll from repeating his accusations. In 1895, Doll persuaded the Crown to formally charge McNaught with fraud and other related offences (publicly portrayed by McNaught via his ownership of a trade newspaper as a welcome opportunity to clear his name).

Doll and others provided extensive and convincing evidence for McNaught’s fraudulent activity to the extent that damages and court costs were awarded against McNaught. But there was astonishment at the time that the jury did not convict McNaught of fraud per se.

Portraying himself as fiercely patriotic and defending the rights of Canadians to buy better value domestically produced items he brazened it out in court. Why had he abandoned the name “Quigley” for watch cases in favour of AWCCo.? Why hadn’t he chosen “Maple Leaf” or provided some other indication of “Canadian-ness”? He replied that the Canadians owned as much of the continent as the Americans did, and therefore had as much right to the term “American” as AWCCo. in Waltham, Massachusetts.

During the proceedings, Edgar Wills reluctantly testified to confirm the accusations that AWCCo’s price list contained fraudulent descriptions (he was caught between his loyalties to a fellow member of the watch manufacturer’s trade association, of which he was secretary-treasurer and his public duty as Secretary of the Board of Trade). Watch cases advertised as “gold-filled” were in fact gilt containing less than 5 cents worth of gold; watch crowns advertised as “solid gold” were gold-plated brass; “perfection coin silver” cases were silver-plate. Mr. Davis, secretary of the Winnipeg Jewelry Co. also testified that he had ordered solid gold watch cases from the company which were stamped “Warranted 14K” that were only gold plated; that the company’s so-called solid gold “Eagle” cases proved to be a valueless gold-plated composition; and that when he sent one of their gold-filled cases to Chicago to be assayed, it was determined to be gilt containing less than 10 cents worth of gold.

The manager of McNaught’s manufacturing operation – Mr. Quigley – apparently played sick during the 9 day trial. All attempts to subpoena him as a witness failed. His co-workers said he was in New York and his housekeeper said he was confined to his bed, but neither was true and he couldn’t be found.

McNaught had also been smart in his choice of attorney. He learnt that the Crown Prosecutor was to be a Mr. Curry - a junior partner of the legal firm Roaf, Roaf, Curry & Gunther. He then employed one of the Roaf senior partners as his own legal representative. Somewhat conveniently, Curry had “gone for his holidays” when the trial opened and the other junior partner – Gunther - deputised for him but was overshadowed in court by Roaf.

In Doll’s words the case “was not properly or intelligently put before the magistrate by Mr. Gunther, and was dismissed practically without being heard. Then Mr. Roaf drew up a maliciously false report of the trial, and Mr. McNaught with the company's funds (as he himself was forced to confess) paid the papers for publishing it.”
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for this information Roger. I knew about the company being Canadian and not the real American Watch Case Company of New York.
          What I did not know already was the history of the Canadian company and the notoriety they had.

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
        This rang up as a pop can and was only 2 inches deep. It is only gold filled but I like it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n206852[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n206853[/ATTACH]
        accounting firms near me yourbooksontime Virginia. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n206854[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n206855[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n206856[/ATTACH]From what I can gather about it the date is somewhere around 1885 for it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n206857[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n206858[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n206859[/ATTACH] So now you know why I did aluminum cans.
        unique watches

Comment

Working...
        X