U.S. Cavalry Insignia of the Plains Indian Wars Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Cavalry Insignia of the Plains Indian Wars Era

In 1851 the army approved a pair of crossed sabers as the new insignia of dragoons to be worn on new style caps (shakos). In 1855 the U.S. Army created mounted units that were then called the U.S. Cavalry.

The two insignia below the top two were broken and repaired. The rest are some of the saber handle pieces that were found on military sites of the Indian Wars era.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CavInsigGRP.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	226698

Last edited by 11KBP; 04-17-2017, 09:56 PM.

Wow! Those are some truly amazing relics! Im speechless really! Thanks for this awesome post!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey Dick, That is some great history. The condition of that first one is simply awesome.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Just amassing lol when I grow up Ima going to find one. Thanks for sharing!
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

BTW 950 whites deep scan detector ??? have not heard of that. do you like it?
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Great find. Excellent post.

Comment

Originally posted by chase View Post
              BTW 950 whites deep scan detector ??? have not heard of that. do you like it?
              Actually the deep scan coils have been around for a long time. If you are using a White's machine with a 950 coil and it has a different decal I wouldn't be too concerned about any major differences in performance.

Comment

Well done on the two complete ones and bravo for repairing the other two.
                Bruce
                In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Congratulations on your finds and I am really glad that you provided us with the details about the insignia and the historical context in which they were used.

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
                    Congratulations on your finds and I am really glad that you provided us with the details about the insignia and the historical context in which they were used.
                    Thanks for the comments SJ.

It might take a little more effort in an attempt to try and make an informative post but I, and I’m sure others don’t mind doing so, especially when reading members of the forum take the time to reply.

Comment

• sailorjoe
                      sailorjoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Because I know that it takes more effort to make an informative post, I appreciate very much your contribution and those folks who have the ability, time and knowledge to make an educational post. Our members are composed of people with varying levels of knowledge, ability and time to make informed posts It is a growing experience for me as I progress to hopefully learn more and more. Posts such as yours add to my growth experience. So my thanks are to you.

Wow. Those are very nice.
                    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                    X