Are all metal decters the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all metal decters the same?

I have a metal dector and it goes underwater to a certain point I think its a good one and I was wondering if all will pick up gold cause I have never found any yet? Let me go see the name and you tell me if it is good enough to pick up gold. Its a Discovery 1100 I think radio shack makes it. I have tried but have to be careful when and where I use it cause some people might think Im looking for war relics where I live here in Georgia when Im actually looking for gold.

I had put a question up and nobody has answered yet.

Comment

Glenn......Eddie......We have an older "Radio Shack" detector and its junk. We have found thousands of pull off beer tabs and a 1996 dime!!! From what Ive heard Whites are one of the best.

Comment

On a lot of machines, gold will show up as a nickel.  If your discrimination is too high, like set to copper and silver, you are missing the gold.  Gold also is heavy and will travel deeper in sand or soil than most coins and you might not be getting that depth.  Learn your machine, use it a lot, and you'll find more gold.  I use a Tesoro Tejon and I've found pieces of gold chain and tiny gold earrings.
        I don't know anything about the Discovery models.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

All detectors will pick up gold items depending on size of item, depth, soil conditions, surrounding interferance "Power lines" and of course how you have it set.
          Why do you not try it on a wedding ring away from any other items?
          If you are trying to learn your machine clear an area in your yard and plant some items of known metals and see how they react to different depths, size, soil conditions etc.....
          Tom is correct in learning your machine.
          If you have it set to eliminate aluminum pull tabs you will never find any gold.
          I have six machines and have found gold with all of them
          even the cheapest machine I own a "Bounty Hunter".
          Bone2stone
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

White's is a good one lots of different models but as far as the best?????
            That is a matter of judgement, price and results of other hunters.
            The treasure web sites have areas where honest opinions are posted on all metal detectors.
            A good one to check out is THunting.com they have a forum for opinions on metal detectors that would rival any site.
            Radio Shack!!!!!!!!!! Most of what they offer can be considered toys, something for a backup or a machine for your granchildren to use to keep them occupied while you swing that Minelab, Shadow, Tesoro or Whites.
            Just my  input on this subject.
            BTW: I started swinging one in the 60's "A De-tex" when most dimes and quarters in the ground were still silver!
            Bone2stone
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
            X