No announcement yet.

Silver and gold, and some of it is old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver and gold, and some of it is old.

As most of you will remember my scoop handle broke during my last post.
    The scoop that I use requires an unusual diameter. so I set about trying to find a replacement.
    Luckily enough for me I found a rake that was willing to die for the cause. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpCHTaFLPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	317.6 KB ID:	254102
    At the cost of $44 for the rake I was hoping that it would pay off. The plus side of this handle is that it is foam filled fiberglass. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpGyduBdPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	254103
    And it floats.
    Due to the length of time it took to repair the scoop I decided that plan B destination would be good enough to try it out.
    Considering that I have scoured this area for two previous years the lack of targets is to be expected.
    Yes I know that is looks like a lot of targets.
    This picture represents over 6 hours in the water though.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	php0jbZ2vPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	651.9 KB ID:	254104
    I do like that 3 inch pocket vernier.
    And the bottle stopper is kinda cool. Not only is the cork intact, But so is the label. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpeXGgrGPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	254105
    Now that the preliminaries are over it is time for the show and tell.
    This is what the keepers looked like coming out of the saltchuck. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28892.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	254106
    There were three mystery coins and some bits and bobs.
    Two of the three coins were silver.
    The third was copper nickle.
    A 1931 US Philippines Five Centavo to be precise. https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/...4-duid-1519653
    The silver coins needed to have the silver oxide removed prior to cleaning.
    Boy do I wish that silver coins came out as good as they were when they went into the saltwater.
    Take a look at the date on the left.
    That coin was minty fresh when it was lost. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170626_194158.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	254107
    Yup. That says 1880
    One 1880 US silver dollar. One 1908 Canadian quarter. One 1908 US penny and one 1931 US Philippines 5 centavo. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170626_193641 (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	247.3 KB ID:	254108
    I was hoping that blackened ring would be silver.
    However a pewter ring will do just fine. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpy4LOePAM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	254109
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

I thank my lucky stars that gold is not affected by saltwater. This 10K ring is sweet. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpiDRqpIPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	254111
    But the daily double winner goes to these two.
    They came out in the same scoop full of crud.
    The cross is 14K the ring is unmarked. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpPoAMM1PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	254112
    I have gold crowns.
    And I bet a lot of you do.
    However this is the first time I have seen a gold tooth ring. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpLAwF9WPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	254113
    Bruce

Comment

Bruce that toothy ring has got to be one of the most unusual rings ever.
      I have found butt ugly rings but never anything that had potential to bite me or bite sumpin or well, cool ring.
      The crucifix is major awesome that was the highlight of your day I'm sure.
      I'll throw in a congrats on the 1880 dollar as well. Never found one of those except on a paid competition hunts.

Water finds huh? The only thing I ever came out of the water with is fishing weights.

Jess B.
      Last edited by Bone2stone; 06-27-2017, 03:13 AM.
      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
      Circa:1982

Comment

That tooth ring is unusual. Is that a micrometer in the third pic? Bottle stopper is real neat. My Mother would love that. Nice haul again. Seems like a lot of gold lately huh? Maybe you can melt it all down and forge a solid gold rake handle?
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Wow those r all awesome finds !!! I love reading your post !!! Thank u for taking the time to create such threads
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            My time is well paid for when I receive compliments like this.
            Thank you my friend.

The old U.S. coins are neat, I don't remember seeing you post many of them . The old cross is neat and Obion may need that tooth ring! I believe he is a dentist and can't imagine a better ring for him.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            I have posted quite a few of the older silver US coins before and one US gold coin as well.
            Lets see what the resident dentist thinks of that ring. I really would like to hear his thoughts on it.

Originally posted by Bone2stone View Post
          Bruce that toothy ring has got to be one of the most unusual rings ever.
          I have found butt ugly rings but never anything that had potential to bite me or bite sumpin or well, cool ring.
          The crucifix is major awesome that was the highlight of your day I'm sure.
          I'll throw in a congrats on the 1880 dollar as well. Never found one of those except on a paid competition hunts.

Water finds huh? The only thing I ever came out of the water with is fishing weights.

Jess B.
          Jess I have found more than my fair share of butt ugly rings, that is for damn sure. I don't know if this was a gift from a dentist or what but it is definitely the strangest gold ring that I have seen.
          And to be able to honestly say that it came from the same scoop as the cross is just fantastic.
          The 1880 Morgan is the second one that I have pulled from the saltwater. I guess beggars can't be choosers but I sure would like to find one on dry land some time.
          As to finding lead sinkers. The only good thing about them is that they can be melted down.
          These are from the post I will be making next. Click image for larger version

Name:	phpB9X85LPM.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	254199
          Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BabaORiley View Post
            That tooth ring is unusual. Is that a micrometer in the third pic? Bottle stopper is real neat. My Mother would love that. Nice haul again. Seems like a lot of gold lately huh? Maybe you can melt it all down and forge a solid gold rake handle?
            I bet that I could gold plate a handle. Here is a better picture of that piece . Click image for larger version

Name:	phpz4UsERPM.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	254201 If your mom wants that stopper send me here address.
            Bruce

Comment

Interesting bunch of treasure. That tooth ring is something else.
              South Dakota

Comment

Working...
              X